• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NFL Officiating 2023

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Since the officiating in the NFL is questionable at best, I figured we could have a thread to talk about how favorite teams get screwed during the season.

These roughing the passer calls are a joke... QB just needs a flag so no contact is made....

Steelers fan, late call last night to get Raiders in the red zone so they could score.

These roughing the passer calls are a joke... QB just needs a flag so no contact is made....

Steelers fan, late call last night to get Raiders in the red zone so they could score.
Yeah, that was one of the bad calls.

I though Pete Carroll was going to lose his mind in the game with the Pa thers.

Yeah, that was one of the bad calls.

I though Pete Carroll was going to lose his mind in the game with the Pa thers.
I didn't see that one but I'm sure Pete's chewing gum was smoking.

Crazy thing about this - in the Pats - Jets game yesterday, twice, on the same play, after the whistle was clearly blown and the play was dead, Zach Wilson was thrown to the ground by a Pats defender and the officials just kinda looked around.

I agree that most of the RTP calls are ridiculous. But I think what they let happen there is worse than the overly-sensitive calls.

Crazy thing about this - in the Pats - Jets game yesterday, twice, on the same play, after the whistle was clearly blown and the play was dead, Zach Wilson was thrown to the ground by a Pats defender and the officials just kinda looked around.

I agree that most of the RTP calls are ridiculous. But I think what they let happen there is worse than the overly-sensitive calls.
The key word here is the Pats.

I agree letting it legit happen with no call is way worse when it actually happens as it's a very good rule. Most of the time it's either a legit tackle and it's called RTP or it's clear as day that they leveled the QB way after the release or in this games case, after the whistle. Crazy to think it happened not once but twice on the same play. I'm guessing because it was the Patriots, it was overlooked.

Here is the real question.

Why does the NFL write a few rules in such a way that the penalty could be called on every play of every game?

The answer:

So that the officials can control the flow of a game. On a critical third down, the officials can call holding so that it comes back if it was successful or not.

On a critical third down, the officials can call holding so that it comes back if it was successful or not.
This is kinda what I think too... Keeps games in check so people don't turn it off because when they turn it off viewership goes down on the game and on commercials (advertising).

This is kinda what I think too... Keeps games in check so people don't turn it off because when they turn it off viewership goes down on the game and on commercials (advertising).
There are certain cities that the NFL wants representing them deep into the season.

The blatant non-calls in the favor of the Ravens Sunday night was down-right criminal!

I don't know if anybody else has noticed this but the media is openly talking about how bad the officiating has become. I listen to Sirius/XM NFL channel and they used to hint at it, but now it is a weekly topic of conversation.

A former official said the good refs are bailing out of the NFL like rats from a sinking ship!

Will the NFL do something?

Do they care?

Are the officials incompetent?

Are the rules impossible to interpret?

Are the refs like "F this! Why should we care about getting the calls right when they rules make no sense and change every year anyway?"

Will the NFL do something?
They’ll act like they care and fine some of them here and there; privately they’ll give them a bonus.

Do they care?
They care about the publicity that’s generated.

Are the officials incompetent?
I don’t think so. I lean more towards them being paid extra for a certain result and they just look incompetent at times as a side effect.

Are the rules impossible to interpret?

Some of them, I haven’t been able to tell what’s an actual reception for a long time; how can the refs?

Are the refs like "F this! Why should we care about getting the calls right when they rules make no sense and change every year anyway?"

I’m cynical but I think most just care about the paycheck at that level.

The officiating is a joke, at least some of the plays are reviewed at NFL HQ.

WTF is wrong with the NFL putting a playoff game on a pay channel! In other words it's bad enough that they moved the Thursday games to Prime, now they have Peacock, screwing you as well.

They’ll act like they care and fine some of them here and there; privately they’ll give them a bonus.

They care about the publicity that’s generated.

I don’t think so. I lean more towards them being paid extra for a certain result and they just look incompetent at times as a side effect.

Some of them, I haven’t been able to tell what’s an actual reception for a long time; how can the refs?

I’m cynical but I think most just care about the paycheck at that level.
I truly believe that the NFL writes the rules for a few certain violations in such a way that the penalty could be called on every play of every game; this keeps control of the game in the hands of the on-field officials. If they made the violation clear-cut, they lose that control.

The officiating is a joke, at least some of the plays are reviewed at NFL HQ.

WTF is wrong with the NFL putting a playoff game on a pay channel! In other words it's bad enough that they moved the Thursday games to Prime, now they have Peacock, screwing you as well.
The NFL doesn't give a flying f*** about the fans, safety, or anything else but money!
1. If they cared about the fans, they wouldn't do this BS with a playoff on a pay channel.
2. If they cared about safety, they would implement a zero tolerance policy for Human Growth Hormone and Performance Enhancing Drugs. Players get bigger, stronger, and faster every year ..... how can that not lead to injuries!

Agree completely. They are pretty much the big dog in the US and they're taking full advantage of it.