• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Non-aged premiums?

nic

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=7532

In this topic tony_bones is talking about setting up a coolodor for aging, in hopes to save himself some money by aging smokes instead of buy aged smokes.

Tony (along with a few others here) tend to buy high dollar, premium smokes. One of the reasons these cigars cost so much (or so I'm told) is the fact that they have been aged for you.

That begs the question: Are there premium, non aged cigars available for sale? If there is, are they noticable cheaper then their aged bretheren? Perhaps this is a silly question, but I'm man enough to admit it! :D

Thanks guys.

I am under the impression that all domestics, regardless of quality, use pre-aged tobacco. At the same time, certain tobaccos can accept more aging than others. As to what brands and what lines use what kind of tobacco, I haven't a clue.

From my experience, most domestics stay about the same over the course of time. Then again, I haven't really had a chance to smoke one with substantial age on it in comparison to that of something freshly rolled. Moki says I need to try an aged Opus, since those seem to be more mellow than the newer ones. Perhaps... but I wouldn't know. At least not until my current stash of Opi start aging some.

vewyphishy said:
From my experience, most domestics stay about the same over the course of time. Then again, I haven't really had a chance to smoke one with substantial age on it in comparison to that of something freshly rolled. Moki says I need to try an aged Opus, since those seem to be more mellow than the newer ones. Perhaps... but I wouldn't know. At least not until my current stash of Opi start aging some.
Check out Hawkan's reviews on CW -- I sent him a 2004 and a 1999 Opus.

In my experience, good quality tobacco ages well, regardless of country of origin. It does certainly depend on the blend, but I haven't found a cigar yet that I prefer "fresh" -- except if I want the strong kick of a fresh Opus or VSG.

In my experience nearly all cigars improve with age. With many the improvements are subtle while with others they can be dramatic.

To quote Carlos Fuente, Sr. "Our cigars are pefect when you get them, but can still improve over the next three to six years." :p