• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

North Carolina State Trooper Killed

Please keep this fellow Trooper's family in your thoughts and prayers.....

Waynesville – A Florida man faces first-degree murder charges this morning in the shooting death of a N.C. Highway Patrol trooper Tuesday night on Interstate 40.

Haywood County sheriff’s deputies and Canton police apprehended Edwardo Wong II, 37, of Ormond Beach, Fla., at Scruggs Circle in Canton, off Newfound Road, after spotting his vehicle on the road near the shooting scene.

Wong is accused of shooting Trooper David Shawn Blanton Jr. twice after Blanton pulled over Wong's pickup truck near Exit 31 on I-40 for a traffic violation.

"He (Wong), without any regard for human life at all, shot Trooper Blanton on the side of the road, and he died as a result of that," said Lt. Everett Clendinin with the Highway Patrol in Raleigh.

Wong is being held at the Haywood County Detention Center without bond. He is scheduled to make an initial court appearance in Waynesville at 2 p.m.

Blanton reported stopping Wong’s 1996 GMC pickup truck at 10:20 p.m. He got Wong out of the vehicle, and an altercation ensued. Wong shot Blanton twice, once in the shoulder, and another bullet grazed his wrist, authorities said.

Emergency dispatchers received a "barrage" of 911 calls around 10:24 p.m. Deputies and police officers took Wong into custody within 20 minutes of the calls, locating his vehicle based on callers’ descriptions, Haywood County Sheriff Tom Alexander said.

Alexander said deputies on the scene reported being shot at, but they did not fire shots, and his office is still trying to confirm if the suspect fired on officers before his arrest.

Blanton was taken to Mission Hospitals, where he later died.

Investigators recovered three weapons from Wong, including Blanton’s service handgun. They will be conducting ballistics tests to determine which gun killed Blanton.

Clendinin said Wong lingered at the shooting scene, nonchalantly searching over Blanton’s person before fleeing.

"The whole thing is just a sickening act," he said.

Clendinin said investigators also discovered narcotics in Wong’s vehicle.

Wong has a lengthy criminal history in Florida, including convictions for assaulting a law enforcement officer, felony drug violations, felony possession of firearms and others dating to 1994, according to the Florida Department of Corrections.

Blanton, 24, of Cherokee, was a two-year veteran of the patrol. He was married and had a 2-week-old child.

That is terrible I will pray for his family and friends. These troopers(hero's)put their life on the line everyday and have to deal with the scum of the earth. I hope the good people of the state will take care of his family.

Best Regards
Don

That's sickening. Only 2 yrs on patrol and leaves behind a wife and a 2-week old child. Let's see what they do with the piece of S**T they have in custody.

Wow, that is terrible. Thoughts and prayers just went out to the wife and infant who will never know it's daddy. Very sad indeed.

I'll be wearing a black band for my brother. It's a risk we all take.

Honestly Israel, the murderer is probably gonna walk out of jail in a year or two.

Disgusting. :angry:

What can we do to help the family?

I'll offer my prayers, but I'd like to do more.

God that is so sad. It is a risk that officers take everyday of their lives. I worry about my brother and friends everyday they are on the job. Prayers and thoughts are sent to the family.

This aint the first time this piece of crap has been in trouble.....

CANTON, N.C. - Authorities charged a Florida man with first-degree murder Wednesday after a state Highway Patrol trooper was shot and killed during a traffic stop on Interstate 40 in western North Carolina.

Edwardo Wong II, 37, of Ormond Beach, Fla., is in custody at the Haywood County Detention Center, about 20 miles west of Asheville. He briefly appeared at a hearing Wednesday afternoon and is scheduled to appear in court again July 9, according to District Attorney Michael Bonfoey's office. Bonfoey declined to comment on the case.

Randal Seago, one of Wong's defense attorneys, also declined to comment about his client. "The loss of the life of this trooper is a terrible tragedy, a young man (with a) young family and by all accounts a great guy," Seago said.

Trooper David Shawn Blanton Jr., 24, was shot after he stopped a vehicle in the eastbound lanes of I-40 near exit 31 about 10:20 p.m. Tuesday, said Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Everett Clendenin. Blanton later died at Mission Hospitals in Asheville.

Authorities said the shooting occurred after Blanton stopped a vehicle that was towing a passenger car for an unknown traffic violation.

Clendenin said Blanton was hit by two shots, one non life-threatening. The fatal shot entered his torso in an area not protected by his bulletproof vest, then struck organs inside his body.

Clendenin said Wong fled the scene after the shooting with the trooper's sidearm, but it was not yet clear if that was the gun used to kill Blanton. Patrol First Sgt. S.D. Greene said a passer-by called police to report that Blanton had been shot.

Wong was arrested soon after by Haywood County sheriff's deputies and Canton police; he had fled in his vehicle and was tracked down near a highway not far from where the shooting occurred. Clendenin said police later found weapons and narcotics in Wong's vehicle.

Clendenin said the Wong was from Florida and was driving from Tennessee.

Records from the Florida Department of Corrections indicate Wong has 19 criminal convictions dating to 1996 that include armed burglary, assault with a weapon, carrying a concealed weapon, sale and possession of marijuana, and escape. He was incarcerated in Florida from 1998 to 2005 on a variety of charges, the records show.

One conviction was in 1996 for assaulting a deputy sheriff with a vehicle in Pinellas County, Fla.

Blanton was a native of Sylva and had been on the force for two years. He was married and had one child. He is the 59th trooper to die in the line of duty since the North Carolina Highway Patrol was formed in 1929, and the first to be killed since 1997.

"Incidents like this remind us of what a dangerous profession law enforcement is," said Secretary of Crime Control and Public Safety Bryan E. Beatty in a statement.

Records from the Florida Department of Corrections indicate Wong has 19 criminal convictions dating to 1996 that include armed burglary, assault with a weapon, carrying a concealed weapon, sale and possession of marijuana, and escape. He was incarcerated in Florida from 1998 to 2005 on a variety of charges, the records show.

One conviction was in 1996 for assaulting a deputy sheriff with a vehicle in Pinellas County, Fla.

Figures.

TampaSupremo

Figures.

TampaSupremo

Yup. What'd I tell ya. This fuck's gonna walk. Should've never been let back into society...

I'll be wearing a black band for my brother. It's a risk we all take.

Honestly Israel, the murderer is probably gonna walk out of jail in a year or two.

Disgusting. :angry:

I gotta check to be sure Jon, but if NC is anything like SC, unless the state bungles the case, he's gonna have a date with a needle. God I hope so.

It'll take years, I remember a local that got killed when I was in my teens, and his killer just got it a coupla years ago. Hell, a brother went down in 03 and hes still waiting.

My black band will be on my tie, but I'll have one on too.

My thoughts & Prayers for his Family
As far as the POS Killer - THAT'S our Criminal Justice System... Justice for the Criminal NOT the Victim. Keep voting for these ACLU Cop Killer defenders & this is what we get.