• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Not as good as I remember (TV or Movies)

oak

Let it burn...
Lately, I've become addicted to watching bad TV late at night (midnight or later) - and I'm watching stuff that has been off the air for 1 to 2 decades. Right now I'm addicted to watching MASH reruns, which is shown every weeknight from midnight to 2am. That's right: two hours, a total of 4 episodes in a row.

The sad part is: I hate this show. It is nothing like I remember, and is basically like watching the "Wacky/Maudlin Alan Alda Show", which as it turns out - is not a good thing. I've also been watching Quantum Leap (not as good as I remember, but tolerable), and the A-Team (this turns out to be unbelievably horrible - unlike the version that I remember from my days as a 12 year old).

Anyone else see an old TV show or movie that you used to love, and realize it sucks the crap-sandwich?

Cheers,

- Oak

Yes, I too watch reruns of series I enjoyed much more when I was younger. IMHO, I think we continue to subject ourselves to these “wacky” shows because of the nostalgic high we obtain-- yearning for the days when life was a bit more simple. Also, another factor that contributes this habit is the fact that many of today’s TV series are worse in more than one way.

Jim

oak said:
and the A-Team (this turns out to be unbelievably horrible - unlike the version that I remember from my days as a 12 year old).

I bought the first season DVD, not what I remembered. Wish they'd release MacGuyver and Murder She Wrote though........

I've rented a few TV shows (Dead Zone and 24) on DVD and bought three (A-Team and Stargate SG1 and Sliders), otherwise I haven't watched any appreciable TV since 1996. I've never even seen staples like Friends or Seinfeld.

Post Eddie Murphy Saturday Night Live - The Generation X Saturday Night Live just doesn't appeal to me.

In Living Color - In reflection...........a very bad show.

X Files - I used to watch all the time. Now........depending on the storyline....it may or may not hold my attention.

And I have to agree with the A Team. Very bad programming. But, in the mid-80's, Mr. T was the $hit! And Murdock is what made that show anyway.

M. Gipson

I'm slowly buying all the Twilight Zone episodes on DVD. They are as good as I remember. Next up will be "The Outer Limits" in a few years when I finish buying TZ.

Only the first three seasons of M*A*S*H* are really worth watching. Once Henry bolted it went down hill fast :(

[thread jack on] my tv complaint is, What ever happened to Saturday morning cartoons? Used to run from 6am to 11:30 on every channel! Bring back Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound and Top Cat and McGilla Gorilla and Quick Draw McGraw and....
[/thread jack not on]

I totally agree. Saturday morning cartoons were the ****!

The one I think still stands the test of time is All in the Family. I was young when it first came out and didn't really understand the humor. I like to watch it from time to time. I also like to watch Roseanne repeats. The Honeymooners is also a good one.

As far as bad ones I once thought were good.... I used to love Leave it to Beaver, which were repeats when I was a kid, but now find it kind of boring. I like some of the M*A*S*H episodes, but can understand what you're saying. Also, the X-Files no longers holds my attention.

[thread jack]
Horse said:
[thread jack on] my tv complaint is, What ever happened to Saturday morning cartoons? Used to run from 6am to 11:30 on every channel! Bring back Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound and Top Cat and McGilla Gorilla and Quick Draw McGraw and....
[/thread jack not on]
[snapback]146969[/snapback]​

NES,SNES,Genesis, Playstation, PS2, XBox, and kickass computer games are what happened to the good Saturday morning cartoons.
The complete whoring of cartoon tie-in toys didn't help at all either.
[/thread jack]

Not as good as I remember:
Two Words: Miami Vice.
How in the hell did that show keep my attention?

As good as I remember:
Sledge Hammer
The complete 1st season DVD set is a riot!

-Matt-

Horse said:
[/thread jack not on]
I don't know where McGilla Gorilla went - as I'm not freakin old enough to remember who the hell that is... ;) I do miss GI Joe and the Transformers. The former has some episodes that stand the test of time (snake eyes kicked ass...), but most are crap...

I sleep in on saturdays until around noon at a minimum anyway - so I'm pretty happy that saturday morning cartoons got replaced by Adult Swim on cartoon network. The good bit starts at 11pm with Futurama and Family Guy, and then results are mixed after that (though I do like the new Venture Brothers cartoon).

Cheers,

- Oak

Shows that are still just as bad as I remember them (I know, slightly off topic), but that I still watch everytime I do happen to catch them on (which is rare for me). Ok, here goes my list -

The Fall Guy (but I still love it - mmmm Heather and jacked up 4x4's)
Jake and the Fat Man
Hardcastle and McCormick
The Greatest American Hero
TJ Hooker
Wiseguy
Mr. Belvedere
Alf
Webster
Nightcaller
Remington Steele (Pierce is a much better Bond than crappy t.v. persona)
Barnaby Jones (except for that station wagon with the faux-wood siding)
Trapper John, M.D.
Quincy, M.E. (had to follow Trapper John)
Chico and The Man
Que Pasa USA (only you fellow Cuban/Miamians may know -and love- this one)

Oh, and edited to add:

Ironsides
Adam 12

Damn. If I go on, I'll further disclose I have way to much t.v. knowledge than is healthy. :)

Horse said:
[/thread jack not on]

IMO, cartoons now are more popular for less quality. it seems the crappier the animation the better kids like it. I look at stuff like Power Puff Girls, Dexter's Lab Cat/Dog and think "What the #### is this crap?" Why can't people look like people? Bring back Space Ghost, Scooby Doo, Herculoids, or anything where the human form remotely resembles reality. And don't get started on crap like Beavis and Butthead and South Park. Adult humor is one thing (but this stuff insults the intelligence), and crap animation for no reason is another.

The animation these days does suck. I would like to see more live action stuff like we had back in the day. Bring back the days of Sid and Marty Kroft. How I would love to turn on t.v. Saturday morning and see Sigmund and the Sea Monster, Land of the Lost (remember the Slee-Stacks...those things scared the hell out of me, along with the freaky Khacka-boy thing), The Buggaloos, Wonderbuggy, The Banana Splits and all that good stuff.

Treamayne said:
Horse said:
[thread jack on] my tv complaint is, What ever happened to Saturday morning cartoons?  Used to run from 6am to 11:30 on every channel!  Bring back Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound and Top Cat and McGilla Gorilla and Quick Draw McGraw and....
[/thread jack not on]

IMO, cartoons now are more popular for less quality. it seems the crappier the animation the better kids like it. I look at stuff like Power Puff Girls, Dexter's Lab Cat/Dog and think "What the #### is this crap?" Why can't people look like people? Bring back Space Ghost, Scooby Doo, Herculoids, or anything where the human form remotely resembles reality. And don't get started on crap like Beavis and Butthead and South Park. Adult humor is one thing (but this stuff insults the intelligence), and crap animation for no reason is another.
[snapback]146987[/snapback]​

The Wacky Races complete series is out on DVD now. Notice a lot of Hanna-Barbera shows listed, this is my all time favorite, even though I only got to catch re-runs as it ended the year before I was born. Amazon.com has the set for $25.

-Matt-

MASH has been on the air in St. Louis continuously. Occasionally when flipping it is worth seeing again.

Dukes of Hazzard -- Why? Oh yeah! Daisy!

Buying occassional Dr. Who and Red Dwarf DVD's

Speed Racer -- buying the DVD's -- Can't believe I loved my anime this way
Battle of the Planets-- still waiting to buy some

I remember Mcgilla

I miss Felix the cat and his magic bag.

A couple of people have mentioned the X-Files. I think the general crappiness of the last season kind of ruined the arc-heavy episodes, but I still enjoy watching the standalone episode re-runs.

Syndicated Seinfeld, Simpsons, and Futurama are a daily watch for me.

-ab

txmatt said:
As good as I remember:
Sledge Hammer
The complete 1st season DVD set is a riot!

-Matt-
[snapback]146978[/snapback]​

I loved that show was the when I was younger, but none of my friends even rember it, so I was beginning to think I was the only one.

I've been looking at the DVD set everytime I am in Best Buy, but havn't picked it up, might have to do it.

For the shows I used to like but now I can't figure out why I did.
Dukes of Hazard
A-Team
Knight Rider
and I refuse to watch Alf, because I'm sure it will be terrible.

Never seen Friends or Seinfeld.

Another one I watch but if you really break it down is rather lame.................Law and Order. Always a wisecrack, always a phonecall or document delivered that breaks the case, and always something that one of the characters has a problem with. I think what carries this show is that it is based on current news. Always a good thing to be reminded about how society is really a cess pool.

But, man.....................I could watch for hours on end.

And come to think of it, another show that IS bad, but WAS good..........

Magnum PI

Oh those shorts.........and the topsiders with no socks.............or the linen slacks with the coordinated belts..............oh my God. What were we thinking??

M. Gipson