• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Not Toasting the Foot

Rope a Dope

I just saw a video on YouTube. Pretty funny stuff, but the guy in the video said something that was very interesting to me. He said toasting the foot gets rid of bitterness. Is that true? Does anyone here not toast the foot before lighting?

I just saw a video on YouTube. Pretty funny stuff, but the guy in the video said something that was very interesting to me. He said toasting the foot gets rid of bitterness. Is that true? Does anyone here not toast the foot before lighting?

Can you post the vid? Wondering if he's meaning torch vs soft flame maybe?

Can you post the vid? Wondering if he's meaning torch vs soft flame maybe?

Absolutely. I didn't see any mention of a soft flame, but he does use a smaller torch during that part of the video. I'm not sure why.

I tend to just generally "go for it" and usually don't bother to toast the foot. But I do light my sticks the same way he does in the video (45 degree angle, rotating while just touching the tip of the flame to the cigar).

The time before last I was at a cigar lounge the attendant in the humidor lit my cigar by torching the foot for like a full minute. Like scorched Earth policy. The next time I kindly told him I'd light my cigar myself, thank you.

I toast my cigar, but I am not sure if it keeps it from being bitter or not. I do it because it just feels right to me and I want an even burn.

I toast my cigar, but I am not sure if it keeps it from being bitter or not. I do it because it just feels right to me and I want an even burn.

That's kind of the reason I do it. Sometimes it's a lot of huffin' and a puffin' to get one lit just going for it, and then it might not be evenly lit. By toasting, at least I get some semblance of an even burn before huffin' and puffin'.

I tend to just generally "go for it" and usually don't bother to toast the foot. But I do light my sticks the same way he does in the video (45 degree angle, rotating while just touching the tip of the flame to the cigar).

The time before last I was at a cigar lounge the attendant in the humidor lit my cigar by torching the foot for like a full minute. Like scorched Earth policy. The next time I kindly told him I'd light my cigar myself, thank you.
I had this Gastown to me too. The girl behind the bar rang me up and before even asking started to roast the foot. I didn't notice any difference though. No charred taste or anything. But i still wouldn't let her light my cigar again.