• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NY retaliers banding together to fight for our rights!

EricDriscoll

CRA Ambassador # 175966
Just an update of a very informative meeting I attended last week as NY retailers came together as a group to fight the absurd laws constantly being introduced through the state and local governments. This is great news as our cigar shops are banding together to fight for our rights to enjoy a cigar without increased restrictions and taxation. Other states are appearing to follow suit and this is only the start of the grass roots movement needed to let our voices be heard and stifle government from censoring our lives. Good work!

New York’s Professional Tobacconists Organize to Battle Local and State Legislation

Cigar Rights of America Facilitates Formation of New York's First State Tobacconist Association

New York City, New York – In an historic gathering of statewide professional tobacconists, a group of over two dozen retail tobacconists gathered at the Grand Havana Room in New York City to launch the New York Tobacconist Association (NYTA).

With the onslaught of anti-tobacco ordinances and legislation, the coalition of traditional competitors are coming together to combat further intrusion into their businesses, to oppose measures that can impact the product choices of their patrons, to address the cost of both doing business in New York, and the cost of goods to their customers.

As noted by Ron Melendi, General Manager of De La Concha tobacconists of New York City, “It’s time for our voices to be heard. For too long, we have let our representatives pass laws that adversely affect our businesses, and the ability of our customers to enjoy a perfectly legal array of products. It’s time to say enough is enough.” Melendi was named the founding chairman of the NYTA.

The New York effort is being assisted by Cigar Rights of America (CRA) as a national consumer-based organization for cigar enthusiasts. CRA Executive Director Glynn Loope was present at the organizational meeting, stating “Each of these shops represent thousands of customers. Now, they are voters for the cause. We will educate them about how their representatives vote, about the legislation they introduce, and work to halt this Prohibition Era style of policies flowing from New York City to Albany.”

With the recently adopted flavored tobacco ban central to the group’s concern, there will be a comprehensive agenda of issues to be addressed. In addition to the flavored tobacco issue, the group will address fees and taxation, regulatory matters, and any further indoor or outdoor smoking restrictions.

The New York Tobacconist Association elected a charter board of directors, adopted by-laws, and heard a presentation from the firm Gotham Government Relations on lobbying on local and state issues.

The group initiated an ‘open door’ policy that any premium licensed tobacconist in New York can join the group, with a plan for statewide recruitment underway for consumer members joining Cigar Rights of America, and retail tobacconists joining the NYTA.

About Cigar Rights of America

Cigar Rights of America (CRA) was founded on the principle of fighting for the freedom to enjoy premium cigars. A consumer-based, non-profit public advocacy organization that works with local, state and federal governments to protect the freedoms of cigar enthusiasts, CRA works with its constituency of members including manufacturers, retailers and cigar enthusiasts to focus on opposing restrictive smoking bans and increased taxation of cigars. www.CigarRights.org

###

Thanks for posting that letter Christian and it's good to see the New York Retailers now have an organized association. It's definitely time to step up to the local and state government and let them know enough is enough....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Man I am glad this is happening. I spoke with Boris from Matador and he had told me about what was going on. It just makes it more important that we all ban together and join CRA to help support our local B&M here in New York.

I agree Charlie, I hope the trend continues across the country and we all can speak up loud and let them know together we have a right to enjoy what we love, and we vote!

Do you mean banding together?

He did indeed, Joe.

I'd like to take a chance to raise a point with what I've seen to be an ongoing issue with the CRA: proofreading. There have been several instances of posts presumably conveying the sentiments of the organization, as well as emails and news releases put out by said organization that contain some rather egregious errors. If we're going for a strong unified image these are things that need to be corrected. Just my two cents.