• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Odd happenings in my humidor

Smokin'Tone

I just might be your huckleberry
:p

Well, no... Actually that was to get you to read this :p

Ok, here's my problem. I've got my cigars sleeping in a nice humi. Up until yesterday everything was picture perfect, 70% humidity and about 68 degrees. Suddenly this morning when I went to do my daily 'open the box to let it breathe', EVERYTHING is off. Temp is up (it's nasty hot, but the box is in an ac'd room that stays about 72 degrees), humidity should be normal, but it shot up to 74%. BUT. My cigars feel dry. Like almost crackable dry. It's odd, because I have a second rubbermaidor that keeps the cigars better than my damn humi from the looks of it. I transfered everything over to the rubberdor, so I'm pretty sure everything'll come back to life, but has anyone ever had problems like that? I use the 50/50 home made stuff, always keep on top of things, so I don't know what's going on. Could it just be the weather?

If you are using a mechanical hydrometer, lightly tap the glass twice each time you open the humidor. The dial is operated off a spring type mechanism. Sometimes your needle will stick, giving you a false reading. If that is the case, you could be well under %65 RH. Stick a bowl of water in the humidor overnight and do a salt test. After 6 hours go check the difference between the salt test and hydrometer to give you an idea how far off it is... By the time you get it adjusted, the bowl of water will have reconditioned your humi.
Remember also that as temperature goes up, it will draw moisture out of the gars and humidor. Thats why you saw the RH go up, but the cigars still feel dry.

Emo

Thanks Emo.. Thought about the hygrometer, and I am using an old spring type (have a digital on order). I emptied out the humi and put them in the rubberdor, so I'll do the bowl of distilled a shot. Worse case scenario I suppose is that I'll buy a better humi (good excuse for the gf) LOL

Thanks again!

Emo seems to reply to every single humidification question asked on this board. Maybe someone should list him as our "resident expert".LOL :D :p :D

TheBeast said:
Emo seems to reply to every single humidification question asked on this board.  Maybe someone should list him as our "resident expert".LOL :D  :p  :D
I am by far not an expert at anything but electronics...and I learn new things in electronics all the time. I just happen to have all my mornings free. I figure I'll just pass on any tid bit of info I have that was once passed on to me. Every once in awhile I'll confuse my facts a little, but luckily I have you FOG's to keep me in line. :)

Emo

just an update, I took your advice Emo and emptied everything out and put my little cup o' distilled water and 3 pucks in the box and left it for a week. BAM All nice and 67% now, been steady for 3 days, so I think I'll move my 'gars back into their home.

Thanks!

Smokin said:
Oh my...And I thought most eveery one had me kill filed...LMAO...The thing I would be suspect on is the lid and its seal... ;)
Emo