• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Official UFC 79 Thread!

IanHummel

Here are the weigh in results from last night:

UNDERCARD

* Mark Bocek (155) vs. Doug Evans (154
* Roan Carneiro (170) vs. Tony DeSouza (170)
* Dean Lister (186) vs. Jordan Radev (185)
* Manny Gamburyan (155) vs. Nate Mohr (155)
* Luis Cane (205) vs. James Irvin (205)

MAIN CARD

* Rich Clementi (155) vs. Melvin Guillard (156)
* Lyoto Machida (204) vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (205)
* Soa Palalei (262) vs. Eddie Sanchez (239)
* Chuck Liddell (204) vs. Wanderlei Silva (205)
* Matt Hughes (170) vs. Georges St. Pierre (170) (for interim welterweight title)

Should be an AMAZING night of fights! Here are my picks:

Guillard by TKO in the 2nd.
He and Clementi have hated each other for years now. While Guillard is young, that doesn't mean he isn't experienced. He has almost 30 professional fights under his belt at only 24 years of age I believe. He was hit with a suspension after testing positive in his last pre-fight drug test and was suspended. From what I've read, he's turned things around and really been training hard, this is going to be an amazing fight.

Sokoudjou by KO in the 2nd.
If you aren't a big MMA fan, than it's likely you have no idea who the African Assassin Sokoudjou. He trains with Team Quest along with the likes of Jason Mayhem Miller and former Pride LHW and MW Champ Dan Henderson. He made quick work of two top 10 opponents (KO's in the 1st round, both in under 2 minutes) when he was in Pride (Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, and Ricardo Arona). Sokoudjou has very heavy hands and a great ground game. I think he will be to aggressive and over power they sly counter striker Machida.

Sanchez by decision.
I don't know much about either of these fighters. Sanchez was the sacrificial lamb that was fed to CroCop in his UFC debut and Soa "The Hulk" Palalei has never fought in the UFC. From what I've heard, neither of these fighters are the most exciting in the world, but they both have KO power. I think this fight will be fairly boring and don't really know why it's on the main card except for the fact that they are the only heavyweight fight of the night. I hope my assumption is wrong though.

Now we get to the good stuff.

Wanderlei Silva by KO in round 1.
This fight will supprise everyone if it gets out of the 1st round. These guys have both wanted this fight for YEARS, however, I think Wanderlei just wants it more and is an overall better fighter. Wandy moved his family, his trainers, everyone to Las Vegas and started training for this fight with Randy Couture and Extreme Couture GYM. He's been working at 4x a DAY and his head is in the right place. I think Chuck has obviously been training hard, but I think his previous two losses, regardless of what he says in interviews, are still haunting him and will help in his defeat. They both have HUGE KO power, but what some people forget is Wanderlei is a very accomplished BJJ Black Belt out of the famed Chute Box Camp. I think Wandy will catch Chuck with a hook and KO him in the 1st, but I would not be surprised if Wandy takes this to the ground and submits or ground and pounds Chuck. Either way, it doesn't go out of the 1st.

GSP by KO in round 3.
This is by far the most intriguing fight of the evening. This is the rubber match, and for the interim title. Both have excellent ground game, and GSP has the superior striking. I think the 1st round they'll feel each other out, the 2nd round they'll really get into it on the ground, and the 3rd round GSP will KO Hughes. Regardless of how it plays out, this should be an AMAZING and VERY TECHNICAL fight.

So there you have it, my picks for the main card. To those that plan on ordering it, enjoy and I'll see you at the end of the fights on here to update the thread with my thoughts. To those of you who weren't planning on buying the fight, BUY IT! You won't be disappointed!

planning on purchasing this one tonight and watching it here. It better not be a damn disappointment like the last one I decided to buy!

For those of you in Iraq and Afghanistan it is free on AFN :D , just have to wake up at 0400 to watch it.

IanHummel great review of the action, maybe I should have asked you to help me out on the College Bowl Pick 'em.

I agree with all of your picks just not when its going to happen. I dont think its going to take GSP 3 rounds to dispose of Hughes. And you are right about the Chuck fight, I too would be shocked if it made it out of the first round! Overall I am really excited about tonight and wish that the UFC would put more cards like this together as there have been some really crappy ones lately.

Wow, talk about being off on some fights. lol. GOCOUGS, your better off not having me do your football picks. :)

That's alright, I guess with your help or without I would still be in last place. Great fights last night; you were right about the Sanchez fight, boring as hell.

I had picked Silva over Liddell, was wrong. I picked GSP, but I didn't think he'd dominate like he did. Hughes looked WAY overmatched.

I picked liddell and hughes.

Silva should have done whatever he could to get liddell to the ground.

Hughes...got whooped. He may be coming to the end of the line.

Anyone catch the Fedor vs. Hong Man Choi fight on HD Net this morning?

Fedor won by arm bar, however, Choi completely over powered Fedor the whole fight. The whole M1 Global production was like Pride all over again, it was great.

I went 5-1 for the shown PPV, missed Liddell. I thought Silva would KO Chuck!

Machida is no chump. He's undefeated and has wins over Rich Franklin and Stephan Bonnar. He doesn't look the part, but he wins. Thierry is still untested and it showed tonight. He looked confused and just didn't have any answers.

And Fedor's armbars are lightning quick!