• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

oh dear lord my ac went out and my humidor is 84 degrees

medic5888

So I keep my house set at 70 degrees and when I got home from a long shift of taking people to the hospital my house is 88 degrees my AC went out. My humidor temp read 84, I am scared about beetles my ac is hopefully working now after talking to the heating air guys. Can anyone give me advice I have close to 700 sticks in my humidor. I have been smoking for 3 years and never had a problem like this.

You could always freeze them, I am sure this will stir up some discourse, but I have heard of people doing it and I am currently trying it myself. There was a thread a while ago as to people freezing ISOM's, just can't seem to find it.

Or you could just send some to me to test out for you.

I don't know if just a few hours at that temp is going to matter, but I'm no expert.

I'd try to get the temp down as soon as I could gradually get it to where I wanted it.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I have had sticks in very warm environments for a day or two while traveling and never had a problem even upon returning with the same cigars.

thanks guys I about had a heart attack and had to call an ambulance for myself now that would be embarassing

No No.... You must send them to me as a professional to another, I will preform a Rapid Trauma assessment, then a detail physical exam using the S.T.R.I.C.T.L.E. Method. If everything comes back okay will hold them for 72 hours on a mental heatlth hold and will preform other various tests. Look, I am not saying I am a Dr. , I went to night school for ten months. Don't worry though I was the valedictorian.

Brandon
NREMT-P :thumbs:

Hate to bring up old threads but this happened to me almost a week ago and can't get it out of my head. Left the house around 7:30 am and the AC was working fine, got back home around 3:30 pm and AC was off humidor read a temp of 84  :( so I don't know exactly how long the AC was off for or how long it sat at the temp of 84 but I'm assuming for at least a couple hours. Anyways I got the AC fixed and had the temp back around 68 by the end of the night, and tried to dry my humidor out a bit. Any new information regarding this? Will a couple hours activate the damn beetles?

Thanks!

airstrike082 said:
Hate to bring up old threads but this happened to me almost a week ago and can't get it out of my head. Left the house around 7:30 am and the AC was working fine, got back home around 3:30 pm and AC was off humidor read a temp of 84  :( so I don't know exactly how long the AC was off for or how long it sat at the temp of 84 but I'm assuming for at least a couple hours. Anyways I got the AC fixed and had the temp back around 68 by the end of the night, and tried to dry my humidor out a bit. Any new information regarding this? Will a couple hours activate the damn beetles?

Thanks!
I, for one, welcome our new Beetle Overlords.

bumblebee.jpg

-Trey 

airstrike082 said:

Thanks!
I would think you are ok, just monitor it for a little while. As you said it was only for a short time.

You'll be just fine. It was only a short while, and not a huge temperature rise.

Obviously, you would rather it have not happened but I don't see it as anything to lose sleep over.

Look at it this way, refrigeration and AC have only been around since the early 1900's but cigars have been around for hundreds of years before then.

Plus, I think that generally most manufacturers have pretty good control over beetles. Doesn't mean they are non-existent, but I get the impression they are not nearly the problem they were a number of years ago.

Cigars are born raised and stored in areas WAY above 70 degrees - most beetles would have popped out before getting to the distributor. I actually think a slightly higher temp makes the cigars "feel at home" - my humidors are constantly pushing 80.

What I used to do was get those big 2 gallon Ziploc bags and stick each box I got in a separate bag and let it sit in high temps for a week. If they passed the bug test into the big humidor.

Now I am buying from reputable dealers and have not seen a little hole in one of my cigars in almost 20 years. If all your sticks are coming from verifiable and consistent sources a little heat every now and then is fine....

the above post is one of the things I love about this place. We get a wide variety of posters, and breadth of knowledge here.

Great post groucho!

I have the opposite issue. When the power goes out and comes back on, the Thermoelectric on my humi resets at the coldest temp instead of the highest.

Then again I don't have enough in it to worry about most times lol. I have yet to see a beetle.

What I worry more about is mold...but I only saw that once...a long long time ago.

About 4 yrs ago I lost ac (of course it Had to be July 4th in Houston), it took about 4 days to get repaired. The house was about 90 degrees inside and I ended up losing 25% or so of my stock to beetles. A sad time for sure, but also a valuable (aka expensive) learning opportunity. I now have a contingency in place, a closet I can wheel the humidors into with one of those portable ACs. In case of a hurricane and potential weeks without power, it's a trip to a friends house near College Station for temporary stewardship of the humis.

I feel your pain, AC just broke and my house has been 80 degrees since Friday. I just rushed my humidor into the basement where it's in the mid 60's. Of course I keep checking on it too, hopefully this AC gets fixed soon.

Several years ago I made it to Tampa and had to visit Fuente. Had a tour and they have a locker about 3000 sq.ft. they keep the temp at 53 degrees. The humidity is regulated, but that was the honest temp., so I wouldn't worry about the winadore starting low.

And now I'm going to see if I can assist Dr. Breedy in the analysis of your sticks. You can't be too careful.

I keep my house @ 70 during the day, less a night.

Cigars ship from around th world to us, exposed to very high temperatures... I'm not too worried.

I like Groucho's technique, I think I'll steal it..

Do singles do ok in ziploc bags with boveda? While a humidor is seasoning per say?

Singles in with a boveda might be ok....might actually be a little much for such a small space.  You would be better served making a tupperdore and putting the boveda and  singles in there.  You never know when you might need more space or have to use  the tupperdore again, so its worth the few dollars of investment.