• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Powder Keg Robusto

oak

Let it burn...
After a down-home dinner of steak and potatoes, I lit up an Old Powder Keg Robusto. This is a smoke I got from Coventrycat86 via a trade, which came from his local shop.

This is a neat looking shop, check out their About Us page. Very interesting, and they're the only folks that actually roll their own up there. If I ever get up to Connecticut, I'll have to find the Cat, head over to this shop and grab a bunch of home-grown singles, and do some herfing...

Here's a pic for ya:

PowderKeg.jpg

Note the zippo (w/Bettie Page upon it - :love: ) in the background. Figured since it came from the Cat, I'd light up his way.... ;)

This stick is the normal robusto shape, at 5 x 50, and appeared well-made upon inspection. The wrapper was very dark and veiny, and this was easily the tightest stick I've ever held... the entire thing felt like a plugged area on a cigar - and I was worried it was either much over-rolled or poorly stored on my part.

With some effort, I cut the end off with my scissors, and gave it a puff or two pre-light... and confirmed that this was a very tight stick...

After lighting up, the first inch took quite a while on this tight little number... but it had no problems staying lit - just took more effort than I'm used to. After the 1st inch, the draw loosened up a bit (still firm, but very acceptable).

Flavor on this one is simple to describe: Tasted of tobacco, with undertones of tabacco, and subtle notes of tobacco... a slight hint of something else in the background:

You guessed it. Tobacco.

However, it was all very nice tobacco and I enjoyed it. The only other flavors going on were coming from the wrapper (very sweet to my tastes) and the smell of the smoke (slightly of cinnamon). Strong cigar - and I mostly agree with the marketing information on the Web site, "Not a breakfast cigar by any means...not for the novice...try a box if you dare!"

A little nuttiness came out as I went, and the draw loosened up nicely with lots of smoke pouring out after I got through the first inch. Overall - I give this one a solid "B" - but I'd say people who like medium strength cigars would give it a lower grade. This was not the strongest cigar I've had, but is almost as strong as many Bolivars and Vegas Robanias I've had (which I love). Too one-dimensional to get an "A" - but I thought this was very strong for a $5 smoke.

Cheers,

- Oak

Thanks for the review Oak, I like these OPK's as you said, they are a good $5.00 smoke :thumbs: