• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva Master Blend 2

Marito

The Oliva Master Blend 2 series is now out. These limited edition sticks come in 3 sizes; churchill, torpedo (6x52) and robusto (5x50). Apparently 120,000 cigars of each size are being produced. The master blend 1, released in 2004, were nic pruos; I am not sure of the blending with the 2's and cannot comment.

The robusto has a very mild box press, with the cigar almost taking on an oval shape. Presentation is very nice; beautiful bands and boxes with some type of etching on the wrapper leafd itself (I still can't figure how to post photos or I would do some from my digi camera). On to the smoke.

Construction: Flawless. A real beauty. The wrapper is among the smoothest I have seen. Oily and silken. Prelit, the stick is firm but not brittle and gives a little when squeezed. I punched the end and sparked the foot and she lite beautifully. I smoked the stick to within 3/4 inches if its life and the burn was razor the entire length. The ash was solid, tight, light grey and held for the first half of the stick. It kept its shape when it hit the ground.

Taste/aroma: Prelight aroma was nothing spectacular. The stick started slowly and I was afraid it was too mild through the first 1/4. It then began to pick up and gained in strength. Midway, she was showing a little more character and strength, though this is not a complex smoke. Dominant flavors were tobacco, very mild herbal-like spice at the front and middle of the tongue. The last third of the stick was teh most enjoyable. While the flavor did not change the finish became longer, a bit more refreshing and pleasent.

Overall: This is a very well made smoke that is a nice daytime diversion from the ordinary. Not very complex, which I found to be a bit disappointing, but with a nice finish. I would call it mild-to-medium in flavor and strength.

Score: 88

I'll review the torpedo later this week.

LC-Smoker did a review of a sample of this cigar that I brought him from the RTDA. Here is the link.

Since then, he and I have both smoked one of the robustos. The biggest thing that I noticed was the wrapper shade. This cigar is supposed to be a maduro, but the robusto that I bought was very light. In contrast, the sample from the show was very dark...almost like a PAM.

The robusto that I smoke was a beautiful cigar. Fantastic construction, tons of smoke production, and nice, even burn. It did not, however, have a decidedly different taste than the MB I. In fact, I have some MB I torpedos that are smoking great right now. I hope to find some of these with the dark wrappers like the sample. Don't get me wrong, it was a very good smoke, just not what I expected. However, I do think these will greatly improve over time.

Marito said:
The master blend 1, released in 2004, were nic pruos; I am not sure of the blending with the 2's and cannot comment.
[snapback]230021[/snapback]​

The wrapper is an Ecuadorian grown Sumatra wrapper. The binder and filler are Nic.

Patrick

cigardawg said:
It did not, however, have a decidedly different taste than the MB I. In fact, I have some MB I torpedos that are smoking great right now...However, I do think these will greatly improve over time.
[snapback]230029[/snapback]​

You are spot on. I agree completely. The MB1s are smoking very nively right now and I believe they are at present superior to the 2s in taste. I hope you are correct about the MB2s improving over time; certainly the 1s have. I just don't get the feeling that the 2s are a lock to improve as what is needed in my book is greater complexity. Perhaps.

The Couple that I have tried were very harsh/bitter tasting. I never found the appeal of these cigars.

I smoked a MB I tonight. As I was doing so, I compared it to the MB II that I just bought. I would stake money on the fact that the MB II that I have and the one that I smoked a few nights ago is a rebanded MB I. Same wrapper, same nose, same taste profile.

I'm very disappointed. :angry2:

cigardawg said:
I smoked a MB I tonight. As I was doing so, I compared it to the MB II that I just bought. I would stake money on the fact that the MB II that I have and the one that I smoked a few nights ago is a rebanded MB I. Same wrapper, same nose, same taste profile.

[snapback]231057[/snapback]​

:0 You mentioned this possibility the other night but I thought you were joking! What I don't understand is why would they do this? The MB I sold well didn't it?

Wow...would explain why the 1s are smoking better...a year or so of age

cigardawg said:

mrjinglesusa said:
cigardawg said:

:0 You mentioned this possibility the other night but I thought you were joking! What I don't understand is why would they do this? The MB I sold well didn't it?
[snapback]231064[/snapback]​

Honestly, not as well as I think Oliva would have hoped. It was a limited run of 375,000 cigars. Less than 20,000 boxes. It was to be the "crown jewel" in their line of cigars. They actually released the MB I back in late 2003, so they have had almost 2 years to sell them out. One can still find them pretty easily on the internet and in retail shops.

What really puzzles me is the sample of the MB II that I received at the RTDA show. That cigar was dark, almost like a PAM. The wrapper had a different texture to it and a different nose. I gave it to Patrick (LC Smoker) to enjoy and his description was completely different from the MB I. It really reeks of the old bait-and-switch. I hope that is not the case. I like Oliva as a company and I like the people that I have met with the company. This would really tarnish my opinion of them. Not that they care. :D

Anyway, there is my 0.02.