• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva Serie G

forehead

I was browsing through one of my favorite cigar shops in Old Towne Alexandria when I came across this brand. I asked the tobacconist if he would or wouldn't recommend it and he told me he’d never tried one. Naturally I was intrigued, so I bought it. It was a decent smoke, the burn was surprisingly even. It had a rich taste and had an earthy aroma. I was impressed with it, however, even with moderate and regulated puffing the smoke became unbearably hot and lost its taste quicker than I wanted. That might be due to the fact I cut it a little deep (torpedo style cigars are sooooo much easier to cut, but I've been practicing on cheap cigars I buy just for cutting).

I'm not sure what the ring gauge was, it was about 6 or 7 inches long, lasted a good 25 minutes before I couldn't handle the heat. The taste was different from anything I'd smoked before, but I found it over all a good experience.

I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience..
I'm all ears...

On a separate note, will the cut of a cigar dictate the smoke?

I was browsing through one of my favorite cigar shops in Old Towne Alexandria when I came across this brand. I asked the tobacconist if he would or wouldn't recommend it and he told me he’d never tried one. Naturally I was intrigued, so I bought it. It was a decent smoke, the burn was surprisingly even. It had a rich taste and had an earthy aroma. I was impressed with it, however, even with moderate and regulated puffing the smoke became unbearably hot and lost its taste quicker than I wanted. That might be due to the fact I cut it a little deep (torpedo style cigars are sooooo much easier to cut, but I've been practicing on cheap cigars I buy just for cutting).

I'm not sure what the ring gauge was, it was about 6 or 7 inches long, lasted a good 25 minutes before I couldn't handle the heat. The taste was different from anything I'd smoked before, but I found it over all a good experience.

I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience..
I'm all ears...

On a separate note, will the cut of a cigar dictate the smoke?

I dont think you can go wrong with an Oliva. Same goes with Padron. I like the G, but I like the S, V, O and MBIII's better. yes, I am an Oliva whore.

I've had an Oliva Serie 'V' Special V Figurado, I believe it was ... wow, what an unbelievable, unforgettable smoke. Highly recommended if you can find them.

Other than that, you've stumbled upon an excellent brand! :thumbs:

Hey,

Ya, pretty much everyone here has probably heard of the Oliva G! From what I remember, they are pretty affordable, and a great smoke for the price. Pick up some Padrons or Serie V, if you haven't yet! You might also want to venture over to Don Pepin's corner of the cigar world.

As for the cut dictating smoke, I'm not sure I understand. Are you referring to the draw of the smoke through the cigar being effected by the cut? If that is the case, then yes, a Palio, Xikar, or other gilotine cut will provide, IMO, the best draw experience (it exposes the most area). A punch can also be used, but I've noticed it has a tendency to build tar on heavier bodied sticks, although it is the easiest to apply (also IMO). There is also the "v" cut, which I know nothing about.

Edit: Always catch the errors after ya hit submit

Rod wrote a great review of the Oliva Serie G Maduro Belicoso here.

I happen to be a HUGE fan of these smokes and the shorter length might work well for you.

I'm not sure what the ring gauge was, it was about 6 or 7 inches long, lasted a good 25 minutes before I couldn't handle the heat.

How much of the 6 or 7 inches had you smoked in 25 minutes? Might need to slow down a little...

They're box-pressed, so they've (in my single, solitary experience) smoked slow rather than fast.

The cameroon wrapper is a definite winner, especially at the low price point - severely underpriced for what it delivers, and I think it suffers because of the perception from the general buying public that low price = low quality.

Nice Review ???

I love the G and the S and the V... try them all, you can't go wrong!

The Serie G "Special G" is one the few I smoke in the winter. Great 30-45 min. smoke...just like a maduro short story. And as others have said, the Serie V is top-notch. BTW, I have yet to find an Oliva I don't like.

Derek

ive tried a few different olivas and my favorite so far is the serie v torpedo...my friend who lives in Texas couldnt find any down there and had me ship him one from here in Indiana because he likes them so much..lol

Where is your friend in TX. I am able to find them at my B&M in McKinney. The V is one of my favs.

I have had a few Serie G and haven't had a bad one yet,i like them a lot i think you found a nice 'gar to enjoy.

The G is an excellent smoke. I think the cameroon gives it a sweet flavor, which I like to pair with a not-so-sweet drink. I've yet to try the G Maduro, but it's on my list. However, the Serie V is my choice from Oliva. My humi is flowing with these since I always jump on a deal when I find one. They smell great, taste great and they're beautiful to look at. If you're interested in Oliva cigars I would recommend the sampler of 6 different blends found HERE.