• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva Series V

MandyPi

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off n
I have a box of these that I bought about one year or a little less ago, and everytime I smoke one, I am in love. However, my local cigar shop has them as well, but everytime I pick up one of them it just does not seem right. Yes, I know that mine have a little bit of age on them, but the taste just seems different. Has anyone noticed this?????

Mandy

I have had a few of these lately and i've noticed a general inconsistancy in the taste. I get them from the shop that is closest to my office and always smoke them on the way back (fresh from the same store each time), and I have had the same thing happen. One was absolutely magnificent and then the next was good but nowhere near as good as others. When you get the great ones though it is a hellluva good deal too. $3.85 and thats with high Ohio taxes.

I have had a few of these lately and i've noticed a general inconsistancy in the taste. I get them from the shop that is closest to my office and always smoke them on the way back (fresh from the same store each time), and I have had the same thing happen. One was absolutely magnificent and then the next was good but nowhere near as good as others. When you get the great ones though it is a hellluva good deal too. $3.85 and thats with high Ohio taxes.

$3.85 for a Oliva Series V?

$3.85 for a Oliva Series V?

That's crazy!!!!! Cheapest I've seen is $5.25 but as far as the consistancy, I have not noticed that. Every V I have is amazing.

Yep. I think the guy just runs his shop for the fun of it. Seems like he's loaded and I know he can't possibly turn a buck there. He probably in his late 50's early 60's and the only people I have EVER seen in there are what seem like buddies of his just haning out and herfin. Never in about 20 visits since I found the place have i seen anyone else make a purchase. And... everything I buy from there seems a bit aged. Yello-Cellos and dusty old bands. Just my theory on it but I'm sure on the price. Possible that his cigar store is just a cover up from his wife to have a really really big humidor!

I've never had a bad Serie V. Nothing but good luck on them. My faves are the torpedo and the figurado. I haven't had a chance to age them, I smoke them as fast as I get them. I do have 1 Serie V maduro I was gifted that I'm letting age (so hard to resist!)

Yep. I think the guy just runs his shop for the fun of it. Seems like he's loaded and I know he can't possibly turn a buck there. He probably in his late 50's early 60's and the only people I have EVER seen in there are what seem like buddies of his just haning out and herfin. Never in about 20 visits since I found the place have i seen anyone else make a purchase. And... everything I buy from there seems a bit aged. Yello-Cellos and dusty old bands. Just my theory on it but I'm sure on the price. Possible that his cigar store is just a cover up from his wife to have a really really big humidor!

Hey brother I live about 40-45 miles east of Cincinnati. Do you ever go to the Beer Sellars on Tues. nights? Also what is this B&M you speak of I might like to stop by and help him out with some business.

Brian,

The early lanceros seemed mild to me, but they improved along the way. Even straight out of the shop.

Hey brother I live about 40-45 miles east of Cincinnati. Do you ever go to the Beer Sellars on Tues. nights? Also what is this B&M you speak of I might like to stop by and help him out with some business.

Brian,

Oh yes my Ohio friend, do tell!

Cheers,

Tony

wow that's cheap. damn california.

Some brothers over here in Holland had some problems with them, the wrappers split open!
But I never had problems with them!

I personally never had a problem, Mandy. I have a customer who picked one up and it tasted rancid. I even took a puff on it to see if it was him, and it wasn't. There was definitely a problem with the cigar. He pulled another from the same box, and everything was great. Then, I had other customers smoke one from the same box, and they had no issues whatsoever. Go figure. But I have smoked a ton of them and never had a problem.

Some brothers over here in Holland had some problems with them, the wrappers split open!
But I never had problems with them!

I remember reading elsewhere that a lot of people had problems with the wrappers splitting open, while others had no problems whatsoever.

They just don't seem very consistent when it comes to quality and construction.

The early lanceros seemed mild to me, but they improved along the way. Even straight out of the shop.

I agree. My favorite is the lancero (by a landslide) and for me it is extremely consistent. Just had one last night with about 1.5 years on it, and it was phenomenal. It is much more mellow and has a deeper richness on the finish as compared to some new ones. However, the freshies at my B&M still smoke great. I have not noticed any inconsistency in the lanceros thus far.

The store for the V's for the Ohio BoTL's out there is:

Carrousel Keyer Tobacco Shoppe

8001 Reading Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45237

(513) 821-5350‎

Honestly though he has a kind of crappy selection compared to some of our other B&M's around here. I didn't know that was cheap for the V's because it is the only place I have bought them but his prices on other sticks are right in line with what I pay elsewhere. As I told Mr Maduro in a pm though, if I were going to drive any decent amount of a drive towards Cincy I'd probably go to Strauss downtown. Definatley my favorite. Not trying to plug them or anything but I really like their atmosphere and their workers demeanor there. Very friendly and helpful. It was one of the first places I went when I first started smoking and they really helped me find stuff that matched my likes. On top of that they have some stuff that I can't find anywhere else (from Padron 80ths to Davidoff Culebras). I haven't bought either of those 2 yet but someday I will.. lol. They had every vitola of Anejos and X's including A's over the holidays also.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there.

Edited for grammar (I have a hard time remembering to I instead of i but I'm trying)

Had the Torp last night and was not impressed. Had major burn issues. Profile wasn't bad but just never seemed to get in a groove with it. I think I have another, a lancero maybe. I"ll give it another whirl later.

We'll see.