• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliveros Padrino (My first review)

Bitaemo

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Canadian
Hi Everyone,

This is my first review ever, so I hope you don't find it to comical. :)

wpRPs.jpg

Received this stick in a sampler pack I think from Cigar.com about 2 years ago. Its been in the bottom of my humidor since. I'm a huge fan of Italian tobacco, so I was really looking forward to smoking this.

The wrapper was extremely oily and dark, even for a Maduro. I read afterwards that it was triple fermented Brazilian leaf. I'm not usually one for Maduros, I'm a Connecticut or Natural wrapper fan, but "Judge not" I thought. :)

The wrapper was so oily it smoked more then I've ever seen a cigar smoke in my years of smoking. It was as if you were constantly exhaling on it.

The smoke itself was fantastic for the most part. It was very smooth, very complex, not at all what I expected for the price. Very subtle earth tones, and what I thought was mint (I taste this sometimes in Italian fillers).

I don't think my drink of choice was the right one, I was drinking Glenfiddich Special reserve 12yo. I think a better pairing would have been like an Auchentoshan. Perhaps the "Three wood". The smoothness of the scotch would have gone perfectly with the cigar smoke.

The end of the cigar was completely different. I should have gotten a clue when the wrapper started to come undone even when I had the label on. Then I removed it. All hell broke loose. The wrapper literally just blew apart. It was as if I was given a trick cigar, and someone had put a firecracker in it. I've never had a cigar do this to me before. I begun to wonder if it was the age of the cigar sitting in the bottom of my humidor in 65% and then to come outside to high humidity. I started to google this cigar though, and every single review seems the same. So its not just me.

In the end, I would pay the $3 or $4 for this cigar again anyday. The 60% I smoked without any issues more then made up for it. I hope you find the same if you try it.

This is me and my dog Chase enjoying the evening in Winnipeg, Canada on Sunday night. The view from my summer smoking spot on my deck.

Wish you guys all the best and happy smoking!

How was the draw? Sometimes when I get a lot of smoke it's because the draw is too loose. Nice review, Tim.

Nice review! I remember seeing these quite a bit in CI back in the day, but I never jumped on 'em. Glad to hear it smoked fairly well for you.

Great review! Sounded good until the unveiling. ;)

I used to smoke CAO Italia and Brazilia. Both good, IMO, but different than most blends.

Did you notice an anise taste? The Brazilian wrappers often have a bit of licorice flavor.