• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

On this day, 2003

BrownDevil

BOTL
Just wanted to take a moment to remember one of the great Cuban percussionist & bandleader, Ramon Santamaria, better known as Mongo Santamaria. He died 4 years ago today in Miami after suffering a stroke.

A master conguero, this icon of afro-cuban and latin jazz has played with many superstars of the industry including Chick Corea, Hubert Laws, Cal Tjader, Perez Prado, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, the Queen Celia Cruz, and of course the King (my idol) Tito Puente. :love:

Thank you :)

Man i have'nt heard the Perez Prado name or his music in quite a while, thanks :) bro! :thumbs:

Just wanted to take a moment to remember one of the great Cuban percussionist & bandleader, Ramon Santamaria, better known as Mongo Santamaria. He died 4 years ago today in Miami after suffering a stroke.

A master conguero, this icon of afro-cuban and latin jazz has played with many superstars of the industry including Chick Corea, Hubert Laws, Cal Tjader, Perez Prado, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, the Queen Celia Cruz, and of course the King (my idol) Tito Puente. :love:

Thank you :)

I heard Tito at the BlueNote in New York about a month before he died. My older sister use to drag me to hear Celia Cruz when I was a kid. Little did I know then how great of a performer she was. It is sad about Ramon. Thanks for the recognition of a great musician.

On a side note, Tito studied and graduated as a pianist from Julliard in NYC. Most people don't know that he was a hell of a pianist.