• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

One thousand post contest from a CP post wh0re

Burnt Tongue

No Tastebuds...
Be the first to answer these questions and win a nice batch of smokes. I get to be the judge on all answers as there may be some difference of opinion on some of the questions.

1.) Where did the word cigar come from?

2.) Where did the word stogie come from?

3.) Who brought the first Cuban cigar back to the US and when? Cigar not tobacco!

4.) What European city was the first cigar capital?

5.) Where did the word nicotine come from?

Good luck!

Damn! That was a fast 1k, congratulations! Hope you have many more. :thumbs:

1. A Maya verb sikar which means "to smoke"

2. The word "stogie" came from the name Conestoga. During the mid to late nineteenth century, small Pennsylvania town of Conestoga lent its name not only to the covered wagons it produced for long treks westward, but for the foot-long stogies it made.

3. Israel Putnam (late 18th Century)

4. Ybor city

5. Jean Nicot, the sixteenth-century French ambassador to Lisbon, in 1560 secured some samples of the new substance, tobacco, and sent them on to Catherine de Medici, the French queen. Fame ensued, with the tobacco plant named herba nicotiana in his honor (Nicot's herb). Hence our nicotine, for the addictive alkaloid won therefrom.

Original set of answers plus change to #5.

5. Israel Putnam (1762)

Any better?

. A Maya verb sikar which means "to smoke"

2. The word "stogie" came from the name Conestoga. During the mid to late nineteenth century, small Pennsylvania town of Conestoga lent its name not only to the covered wagons it produced for long treks westward

3. Two of Columbus's crewmen during his 1492 journey, Rodrigo de Jerez and Luis de Torres

4. Ybor city

5. Jean Nicot, the sixteenth-century French ambassador to Lisbon, in 1560 secured some samples of the new substance, tobacco, and sent them on to Catherine de Medici, the French queen. Fame ensued, with the tobacco plant named herba nicotiana in his honor (N

2. The word "stogie" came from the name Conestoga. During the mid to late nineteenth century, small Pennsylvania town of Conestoga lent its name not only to the covered wagons it produced for long treks westward, but for the foot-long stogies it made.

4. Ybor city

5. Jean Nicot, the sixteenth-century French ambassador to Lisbon, in 1560 secured some samples of the new substance, tobacco, and sent them on to Catherine de Medici, the French queen. Fame ensued, with the tobacco plant named herba nicotiana in his honor (Nicot's herb). Hence our nicotine, for the addictive alkaloid won therefrom.

Seville Spain :D .

Billy

Did I win :love: ?

Kind Phillip III, wanted to control tobbaco so he decreed all grown in the Spanish colonies had to be brought to Seville for processing into cigars, cigarettes, and what not. I don't remember the exact date but it was something like 1612 or 1614.

Found It, • 1614: SPAIN: King Philip III establishes Seville as tobacco center of the world. Attempting to prevent a tobacco glut, Philip requires all tobacco grown in the Spanish New World to be shipped to a central location, Seville, Spain. Seville becomes the world center for the production of cigars. European cigarette use begins here, as beggars patch together tobacco from used cigars, and roll them in paper(papeletes). Spanish and Portuguese sailors spread the practice to Russia and the Levant.

http://www.historian.org/bysubject/tobacco1.htm

Cool Contest

Billy

What Brickhouse said,

Except number 4 is:

4. Bremen, Germany - the center of the thriving European cigar manufacturing industry.

Sorry but #4 is the one I need changed!

I'm gonna go with London, England bro.

It wasn't until Christopher Columbus' voyage of 1492 that cigar smoking was brought to the attention of the rest of the world. The cigar, or "tobacco wrapped in a leaf," was first brought to England by troops returning home after fighting for Wellington in the Peninsula War (1806-1812). The craze swept England with great enthusiasm and put London on the map as the cigar capital of the world.

I'm exhausted, lol.

edited to add paragraph

4. Ybor city

Billy

We have a winner! Seville Spain is correct! PM me your addy!

4. Ybor city

Billy

This is awesome, I've never won anything before, this place is great. You all are awesome. Thanks again for the contest Burnt Tounge.

Billy

4. Ybor city

Billy

This is awesome, I've never won anything before, this place is great. You all are awesome. Thanks again for the contest Burnt Tounge.

Billy

Congrats Billy, and you are correct, this is a great place.

Thanks for the info Burnt Tongue!!

I just received an AWESOME package from our good host! Congrats and thanks again!

Billy