• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Online shopping from Canada.

Snoozer

Does anyone have any recommendations for online ordering from Canada. I've looked and most places will not ship to Canada. Because of tax reasons I'm assuming? I've never found a straight answer.

PM if necessary.
Thanks!

I have had very little success in shipping to Canada.

Usually it's due to the duties on tobacco. Once the customer gets the duty slip or how ever they
send the tax form, they usually refuse the shipment and it comes back to us.

then we credit the card back and are out of a sale.

I have zero problem sending things to Canada, it a matter if the customer wanting to pay the duties if it'a found to be cigars.

Mark

Usually it's due to the duties on tobacco. Once the customer gets the duty slip or how ever they

I have zero problem sending things to Canada, it a matter if the customer wanting to pay the duties if it'a found to be cigars.

Mark

How silly of the customer!! I expect my cigar shipments from you to be intercepted and I be charged a hefty fee. It is a bonus if they do not.

By the way... big fan of your thorough shipping methods mate ;).

Does anyone have any recommendations for online ordering from Canada. I've looked and most places will not ship to Canada. Because of tax reasons I'm assuming? I've never found a straight answer.

PM if necessary.
Thanks!

There are some underlying reasons, which Mark has touched on below. Duty, excise, and taxes run about 200% for you in Ontario, plus exchange at about .82US right now. This leaves us two kind of places:

One: online American vendors that will ship to Canada duty pre-paid. AFAIK, Famous-smoke.com (and thus cigar-auctioneer.com) is the only one doing this. They use UPS and UPS brokerage, they calculate the duty and charge full duty/excise/taxes/brokerage fees to your credit card before they ship. Customs opens the package to verify the contents.

Two: those that don't pre-pay the duty. PM.

BTW, would you be interested in a herf? Sometime this winter. Somewhere east of Toronto. Please let me know!

Mark
Mark, I am very, very sorry to hear that. Any Canadian who orders from a US retailer who is kind enough to accept their order must be willing to accept being dinged for duty, excise, and taxes - unless the vendor was okay with refusals beforehand.

Robbmt

I would say no. That would be silly to pay duties on gifts.

But I can tell you I tried sending them as gifts wrapped in
Gift wrap, sent them as merchandise, you name I've probably tried

I would say I have a 2-3% success rate.

Do you have to pay duties on GIFTS?
Yes, for any gift of tobacco, at any value.

Yes, for any gift over $20 of non-tobacco products, not sent through the post office, i.e., sent via courrier.
Yes, for any gift over $20 of non-tobacco products, sent from or to (IIRC) a commercial address

No, for any gift under $20 of non-tobacco products
No, except for a postal brokerage fee ($5 or $8, I can't remember) for any gift between $20 to $60, that includes a card greeting that makes it obvious that it is a gift, and contains nothing to indicate otherwise (e.g., an invoice), and is sent to/from a non-commercial address, and sent through the post office.

BTW, $20CA = $16US

edit: whatever applies to tobacco also applies to booze, etc.