• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Onyx Reserve Mini Belicoso

txmatt

El Cheapo smoker
I smoked an Onyx Reserve Mini Beli today and was very disappointed. By no means was this cigar "bad", it burned well and tasted good, but totally lacking was the wow factor I have experienced in the past. It also had a lot more Nicaraguan bitterness than I recall them having. Has anoyone heard about a change in the blend or a recent "bad year" for these? The stick was bought in July and has been in my coolidor since

The last one I smoked was a torbusto with a year on it and it was exceptional, perhaps they require a year?

The way this one tasted I would much prefer the Flor de Oliva Maduro bundled which costs half the price. An also less expesive Padron 2000 or 3000 would blow it out of the water. Curious if anyone else has been disappointed with them lately.

Matt

I don't mind these fresh but they are much better with a year of age. They can be a bit harsh when young.

I had several on a recent golf trip. They were at least 1 maybe 2 years old. I lost track of the age, but they were not particularly good, like you said, not bad, but just not good. One even had a bad burn.

txmatt said:
Curious if anyone else has been disappointed with them lately.

Matt
Never tried 'em but have some on the way, we'll see. Hopefully I won't be as disappointed!

txmatt said:
I smoked an Onyx Reserve Mini Beli today and was very disappointed. By no means was this cigar "bad", it burned well and tasted good, but totally lacking was the wow factor I have experienced in the past. It also had a lot more Nicaraguan bitterness than I recall them having. Has anoyone heard about a change in the blend or a recent "bad year" for these? The stick was bought in July and has been in my coolidor since

The last one I smoked was a torbusto with a year on it and it was exceptional, perhaps they require a year?

The way this one tasted I would much prefer the Flor de Oliva Maduro bundled which costs half the price. An also less expesive Padron 2000 or 3000 would blow it out of the water. Curious if anyone else has been disappointed with them lately.

Matt
I know what you mean. I've tried a few different sizes from Robusto to Torbusto and the Mini Belicoso. I have yet to find another one that still reproduced the same wow factor I got when I smoked my very first Mini Belicoso in June. This was back when I didn't know too much and was just sampling sticks and once I had the Mini Belicoso I was hooked. But every one I bought after that, just didn't quite have the same taste.

Wow, I thought the mimi Belicoso was very good! I like the draw I got out of it and it burned very well...

all and out A++++++ cigar

-matt

You all should be proud of me for searching and adding to an existing review as opposed to posting my own. Even though this is a 4 year old thread :D

I have to admit when I read this thread I said to myself: "self! Were these people smoking the same thing you were smoking?"

Seriously though, I made a purchase recently from a CP'r and in the mix were two Onyx Reserve Mini Belicoso's. I've read reviews of these and liked what I read and then noted that the previous owner had them aging since September of 2005. So when choosing my weekend smokes on Friday before leaving the office I chose one of the mini's.

I had some time to kill before heading to a bbq yesterday afternoon so I decided to light up this little jewel. The pre-light draw tasted deliciously of warm honey which I took as a good sign and I wasn't the least bit disappointed.

My first draw after lighting was nothing short of "wow! this is something different". Now, I don't pretend to have a refined palate capable of determining all the nuances of flavors in this cigar but suffice it to say I was completely overwhelmed by how nice this cigar was and would say that it is currently on top as the most enjoyable cigar I've smoked. The draw was perfect, the burn was perfect and the taste was exquisite.

After an hour I was totally lost in this cigar when I looked at the clock and noticed I was late for the bbq. Sadly I looked at the stick in my hand and noticed it still had a good half hour of burn left in her and was only getting more enjoyable as I sat there. One of the hardest things I've had to do in the cigar realm was put her down and leave before she was done. Now I find myself wishing I had brought home the second one to fully enjoy this evening.

I mentioned in another thread that I never buy boxes, but as of now this is one smoke I'd buy a box of in a heartbeat. The hard part would be letting the box age before I smoked them all as I'm sure the 3 years this little gem sat in the PO's humi had a major impact on the experience.

Danny

Geez, I saw a thread by "txmatt" and thought he was back!

He left us for another board a while back which is too tad since he's a nice guy. :(

These Onxy mini belicosos are pretty good cigars for a medium priced domestic. I haven't smoked one in a while but I was just recently digging through my cigarpool winnings from a year and a half ago and I'm glad you topped this thread DR because I think I'll light one up when I'm feeling better.

Lately Onyx reserves have been my go to stick, and far as letting them age, i just buy a five pack at JR's every few days and just rip through them, they are lucky if they see a week in my humidor!