• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opened Scotch bottles?

IBPikin

I have opened and tasted several new bottles of Scotch from Holiday season.
I normally open only 1-2 bottles at any given time so they are gone fairly quickly. Several of the Scotches that I have opened will be consumed slowly. How long after opening is the taste effected and what containers are best for storing?
Thanks for the input.....Jim

The taste will stay more or less the same for years; it is evaporation you have to be concerned about. Even with a good cork seal you will see noticeable evaporation in just 3-4 years. A good thing to do is to lay your bottles on their side for a day every month or so to keep the corks wet and expanded, this will help slow the evaporation. Plastic wrap and rubberbands around the neck works well too but you still should keep the cork wet if possible.

So if you dump a bottle into a decanter you should consume it within a few months or so or you will lose much of it to evaporation?

Depending on how good the seal was, yes. I had a decanter I filled with some Glenlivet 12 yo that sat for about 18 months and it lost 3/4 inch or so.

AVB said:
Depending on how good the seal was, yes. I had a decanter I filled with some Glenlivet 12 yo that sat for about 18 months and it lost 3/4 inch or so.
[snapback]158775[/snapback]​

:0 Good to know, thanks.