• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X and Añejo conspiracy

moki

el Presidente
The more I smoke the Opus X and Añejo cigars, the more I become convinced that they absolutely *must* flavor the tobacco in some manner -- and not just the wrappers (which I've heard are alleged to be aged on cognac barrels).

There's just too much of an odd smell/taste to the entire tobacco (I actually chewed on the end of a cigar to test this theory). Anyone have any real dirt?

I've heard that "More cigar brands flavor their tobacco than admit it"

Triple_D said:
Pesticides
Well, since nicotine is a pesticide, that's a given for any cigar.

I'm thinking there is a bit more added as well...

The Opus X is just strong! These wrappers are grown at Chateau de la Fuente in the D.R.

The Anejo wrapper is said to have been aged in cognac barrels.

Leebo8-9-8 said:
The Opus X is just strong! These wrappers are grown at Chateau de la Fuente in the D.R.

The Anejo wrapper is said to have been aged in cognac barrels.
I dunno man... it may just be strong, but it smells like no other leaf I've ever smelled. I'm wondering if they don't spike 'em.

Well, from watching the Fuente DVD that has been offered with some of the Forbidden X cigars, it's really facinating how these wrappers came about. Of course, Carlito is a master blender and he and his father tried allot of blends until they came out with what's on the shelves. They did not go into how they blended on the DVD however.

The wrappers were done when everyone in the business told Carlito he was crazy and couldn't grow a wrapper in the D.R. Well, he knew he wanted to do something that not done by anyone else! These wrappers took allot of man-hours to grow as the plants had to be checked frequently, they were topped at just the right time, etc. The DVD is most interesting and is worth the $50 for it and the cigars that come with it!

That's the short version from memory, I need to watch it again as it's well done and gives you an idea of how hard Carlito and his family worked to get where he is today!

Lee :D

Leebo8-9-8 said:
That's the short version from memory, I need to watch it again as it's well done and gives you an idea of how hard Carlito and his family worked to get where he is today!

Lee :D
Lee I believe you have already spent a lot of time with the DVD. Go take a smoke break. :D

Just kidding, I have the DVD also and it is good, and well worth the money.

M3

good times

Well, I just got 2 Añejo Shark No77 boxes, and 1 box of Opus X Super Belicoso's -- so I guess I can just interrogate these smokes myself to see if I can get them to divulge their secrets.

Anyone know what those cigars in the coffins are? One is a CAO Millennium, which has a very red wrapper, and the other is some kind of Dominican Romeo y Julieta. Anyone had either? If so, how are they?

shark_attack1.jpg

shark_attack2.jpg

Hey Moki, f you need a Deputy to help with the Good Guy/Bad Guy intarogation of those Fuentes, I am open to be deputized :p

Dude, the Samurai Sword is nice, and the Gars that share the table are the best.

My shop can't get a box of anejo's and you get 2 boxes! plus a box of opus!!! You got to tell me where you shop dude.

Wascal said:
My shop can't get a box of anejo's and you get 2 boxes! plus a box of opus!!! You got to tell me where you shop dude.
I found a connection online; the prices aren't MSRP by any means, but they aren't terrible either: $345 for the box of 20 Añejo's, or about $17 a smoke.

The alternative is simply not being able to get these cigars. They are released once a year, and are scarce when they are released, let alone now.

Neither are flavored. Both wrappers are very unique though. The original release Anejos will have a sweeter taste, as they were aged longer tahn the newer released ones, and yes, aged in old cognac barrels. Opus are Dominican puros and are unique in that manner. There are some La Flor Dominicanas now that are also Dominican puros. Maybe pick up a couple of those and see if you can taste a similarity to the Opus wrapper.

Matt R said:
Neither are flavored. Both wrappers are very unique though. The original release Anejos will have a sweeter taste, as they were aged longer tahn the newer released ones, and yes, aged in old cognac barrels. Opus are Dominican puros and are unique in that manner. There are some La Flor Dominicanas now that are also Dominican puros. Maybe pick up a couple of those and see if you can taste a similarity to the Opus wrapper.
I'm still skeptical -- if that's a natural flavor/smell... well, that's just amazing. Seriously.