• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X and scotch pairing....

Jan Primus

Gonna celebrate an occasion with a friend next week, Opus X ready to go just wondering which scotch would stand up next to it? Highland Park 12? thanks.

Not knowing your tastes or budget try Johnnie Walker Green ($50USD) or Balvenie PortWood 21 ($100 USD)

My budget would be up to $100cdn, which means stuff you'd pay $60-70 for. As for the opus' we be smokin, there is a xxx, no 5, and perfection x to choose from. As for my taste, I like a wide varitey of scotch but have a bias against blends. I do already have a bottle of Balvenie 91 portwood, how do you think that will work? My friend has been waiting a long time to try an opus, and he is a scotch man...so I want to make the most of the experience for both of us.

I've drank so much Scotch and smoked Opus X at the same time its not even funny. There isnt much Scotch I would say you cant pair it with an Opus. If you want a pretty good Scotch that has a little peat taste go with the Laphroaig 15yo Cask Strength. These 2 compliment each other but what do I know. :whistling:

The 1991 PortWood isn't common so that may be an interesting dram for your friend.

I've drank so much Scotch and smoked Opus X at the same time its not even funny. There isnt much Scotch I would say you cant pair it with an Opus. If you want a pretty good Scotch that has a little peat taste go with the Laphroaig 15yo Cask Strength. These 2 compliment each other but what do I know. :whistling:

Hmm, the Laphroig 15 yr cask we don't get here, just the regular 10 yr...which doesn't really do it for me. How would that compare to a Lagavulin 12yr cask?

The 1991 PortWood isn't common so that may be an interesting dram for your friend.

I think the sweetness of the Balvenie would work nicely with the spice of the opus. I'll bring a few bottles to try with it.

91 portwood
12 & 18 yr HP
12 yr cask strength lagavulin
18 yr talisker

thanks for the suggestions.

I havent had the 12yo Cask that I can remember. :laugh: But the 1991 Portwood will match perfectly that I know from experience. :thumbs:

Is this the 12 yo Cask Strength (115.4 proof) Special Release? If so I wouldn't spoil it with any cigar. It's too good.

Hmm, the Laphroig 15 yr cask we don't get here, just the regular 10 yr...which doesn't really do it for me. How would that compare to a Lagavulin 12yr cask?

Yes it is. The cask is just $30 more than the 16yr here. A year or two ago it was only about $75cdn a bottle then they jacked it up to $120..one of the few nice drinks we get at a better price than you.

Personally, I would go with the Talisker 18. Simply a wonderful dram in all respects!

Cheers,

Fred

Any Islay goes great with Opus X I prefer Lagavulin 16yr or Laphroig (sp?) 10yr
Those two go well with any cigar but especially Opus X or a VSG :thumbs:

Well if you want to pair me with a scotch hit me with some Elegance or maybe just some Mac 25 :D

So did you decide on something Jan ???

So did you decide on something Jan ???

Well, after all the helpful advice, we ended up drinking red wine with the opus :thumbs: . I did bring a few bottles of scotch along but the red was pairing up nicely and we never got to the scotch..next time.

Wine! Try to take care of you and this is how you treat me. Sheesh.

:p