• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Robusto

tolije

I picked up a couple of these at my local B&M. This is the first time that I have seen them there and they only had one box in the entire place. I was really looking forward to this smoke - only the second Opus X that I have tried. The first was a xXx and was great.

The wrapper was extraordinary. Dark reddish brown and oily. The flavor seems OK - nothing spectacular. It is nothing close to the Tatuaje J21 I smoked yesterday. Anyway, to the point.. First of all, it did not light very easily and the burn is very uneven. The ash is very loose. I have to relight about every 5 minutes (max). I am still smoking it as I am typing

Is this common with this particular vitola or could it be something else?

Some pics:
P1010504.jpg

P1010505.jpg

This seems like an overhumidity problem. Strange that the other one would smoke fine though... FWIW I have never had this problem with AF's in general or FFOX in specific

I have had burn problems with the FFOX. BTW that wrapper looks awful, rumpled and uneven and such even though the color and oiliness looks good. Is the "crowned" ash (where the ash separates and curls outward) indicative of high humidification? I concur that the relight issue probably is.

I had the same problems on last Thursday night, but I only had to relight once. I was over anxious to smoke one, as it was my first. I picked 8 of them that day and didn't let them set for a while. I will try again in 4-6 weeks.

This seems like an overhumidity problem. Strange that the other one would smoke fine though... FWIW I have never had this problem with AF's in general or FFOX in specific

I bought the xXx at another B&M and let it sit in my humi for a while before smoking it. I bought the robustos a couple of days ago, so they have not been sitting long.

It seems that the general consensus is over-humidification. I will let the other sit at the proper RH for a while before smoking it.

I have come to the conclusion that my local B&M doesn't care for their cigars very well. See the other issues that I had - Blue Dragon helped greatly with that one. I guess that I will be making the trip to Nashville to purchase singles from now on.

I have had burn problems with the FFOX. BTW that wrapper looks awful, rumpled and uneven and such even though the color and oiliness looks good. Is the "crowned" ash (where the ash separates and curls outward) indicative of high humidification? I concur that the relight issue probably is.

I concur. The times I have seen wrappers that look like that are when the cigar has been dried out, and then re-humidified (in this case, probably over-humidified, given the burn issues).

To some extent, cigars are a crapshoot. I think most of them leave the factory in near perfect condition and, somewhere along the way to your mouth, sometimes they get mistreated. Maybe more than once!

But usually expensive cigars like OpusX are treated with more care.

C'EST LA VIE!!!

Back