• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X

nic

First off, I have to thank Lumberg for an absolutly amazing wish list fulfillment pass, this guy rocks!

On to the review:

wrapper:
smooth, a lil' reddish in color, very pretty indeed

burn:
problematic - a few runners for the 1st half of the cigar, and then a rather serious plug with about 2-2.5" left

ash:
light gray, only held about 1" before it fell

taste:
Started out smooth, but rich. Definately high quality. About a inch in, the power started, while remaining very smooth. This was a very nice, strong cigar. Reminded me of the CAO extreme, but much less "harsh" [not that I dislike the extreme line].

draw:
First 2" or so, very nice, after that it kept getting tighter and tighter

smoke:
Quoting Beefcube: "more than a 1972 Nova with a burnt valve, sooooo easy to take and hold, almost a fluidity ( is that a word )" I can't really expand on that, it's dead on.

overall:
This paticular stick had some draw issues that really kept my overall impression low. The flavor was amazing, but I just didn't get enough of it to fully experience it. I liked it though. There's a Tinderbox near my house that carries them, I'll be buying a few more for a more thorough review. :D

Yeah, plug issues will hurt the flavor of any cigar; sucks that it happened to you on your first Opus.

I don't know what I'm doing right, but I honestly can't recall having a single plugged cigar from any manufacturer.

The first OPUS X I smoked (moki got 'em for me) didn't have any problems. Man that was a good smoke (got 4 left).

**note - you guys refer to some smokes 'needing some age' or 'put them to bed'. How long is long enough?

M. Gipson

moki said:
Yeah, plug issues will hurt the flavor of any cigar; sucks that it happened to you on your first Opus.
Even with the plug, it was a pretty good cigar. I think I might head over to Tinderbox after work and pick up another...if it was that good with a plug, it must be amazing with out, right? :D

nic said:
moki said:
Even with the plug, it was a pretty good cigar. I think I might head over to Tinderbox after work and pick up another...if it was that good with a plug, it must be amazing with out, right? :D
Depends on your tastes. Fresh Opus X cigars can be rather on the strong side. Like any cigar, they mellow out and become more complex with age.

I personally like both the very spicy new Opus X cigars, and the nice deep flavors of a good aged one. The in between time doesn't do all that much for me though... still good, but in transition.