• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

P2kM

merkinmullet

Special thanks to leafsat49, who sent me this cigar. Incredibly, before this one, I had yet to try a Padron 2000 maduro; naturals, yes I have. For some reason or another, I haven't had a smoke in about two weeks. This is the longest I've gone in over a couple years. I thought a gifted cigar would be a perfect way to end the drought. But before the smoke, I needed to grab a beverage at the store. Several times have I seen the 'Budweiser & Clamato with salt and lime' can, but today, perhaps because of the second half meltdown of the US men's team against Brazil, or the breezy 83 degree sunny late afternoon had me feeling a bit surly, I decided to grab the 24 oz can for a mere dime an ounce.

Prelight: The smoke is slightly bent as if it was in my pocket while going to the beer store. A couple bumps were present in the rich looking wrapper that seemed to be applied by a 9 year old based on the folds and wrinkles. No real soft spots to cause worry. After a clip, the unlit draw has less flavor that I would have expected, but what is present is a slightly sweet earthiness.
gallery_6295_1220_21511.jpg

The label on the side reads, "DO NOT SHAKE!"
gallery_6295_1220_58877.jpg

First third: This cigar lit very easily, and immediately hit me with a blast of nose and throat spice I was not expecting. Perhaps my short hiatus has made me weak. More earth, wood and somewhat aggressive in the first few draws of voluminous smoke. The draw is easy and I think the week long dry box has contributed to easy light, easy draw and forward spice. Then, it smooths out at 1" as the chunky gray and dark gray ash clings on for life.
gallery_6295_1220_12780.jpg

Second third: The ash falls. All that preliminary spice has given way to a bittersweet tobacco-ness. The flavor is not deep or complex, but has what I might associate as a Nicaraguan flavor. The finish is short, which means I can consciously power through the Budweiser & Clamato Chelada which surprisingly enough tastes like its two constituents. Every Christmas I have been alive has been spent in the same house with the same family with the same 'Clamdiggers' (our family recipe is essentially a Bloody Mary made with Clamato as the tomato part). I am fond of Clamato, but don't like 'Certified Color'.

gallery_6295_1220_26536.jpg
gallery_6295_1220_36936.jpg

Third third:We're staying true to course with the exception of the bittersweetness losing some of its sweetness. The ash falls on the floor again and the ashtray remains empty. I go at it until there's an inch left when the bitterness takes over. "CONTAINS: SHELLFISH/CLAMS" reads the can.
gallery_6295_1220_295.jpg

Many thanks to Armon for the chance to smoke this everyman's cigar. The Padron 2000 maduro may not be mind blowing, but it is thoroughly enjoyable and pleasant. The Chelada however...

Some things just don't belong together in my opinion: A Padron and Bud/Clamato is definitely two of those things, let alone beer/clamato! Eww! :0

I had a Padron 2000 Maduro last week and it was fantastic. I'd give it another shot.

Interesting review!

I saw the Bud Chelada at my neighborhood liquor store and couldn't resist buying a can even though I hate tomato juice. Not only do I think that it tastes like heartburn, but it also gives me heartburn. I have no idea whether I like clamato.

The shop owner told me it was terrible and to go put it back. I was feeling adventurous so I refused.

By the time I got home (it's a 3 minute walk) my enthusiasm had waned so I put it in the fridge and made myself a cocktail.

This happened several months ago. It's still in the fridge.

I delivered that stuff off of my truck to a container yard shipping it to Alaska. Once I read the only can that I didn't recognize, I almost puked where I stood. I don't like seafood, hate tomato juice, and wonder how in the name of all that is holy that 1, someone thought to mix those 3 things together, and 2, how someone could possibly train themselves to not puke on impact from that vile stuff.

I've also noticed a couple smokes out of this box have had that bitterness taste to them. They might of just been an unlucky few that have slipped in the box. I agree with CRQuarto, give them another shot. Glad to hear you enjoyed it brother :thumbs:.