• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padilla 1932 Humidor

Doc Wylie

Curmudgeon
So my buddy Paul (Touchemup) and I are out at the "Rez" buying some smokes a couple weeks ago and sitting on the counter is a big ol' Padilla 1932 humidor with a sign "Buy a Padilla and get a chance to win this humidor"...I like the '32's so I include one with tmy purchases. The guy makes no mention of the raffle until I remind him, so he fishes around for a slip of paper and tells me to just write my name and phone number on it. On the ride back, Paul and I laugh about how my little slip of paper is probably now deposited in the trash.

Yesterday my phone rings, and this nice young lady tells me she's calling from the cigar shop to inform me that I won the humidor. A very pleasant surprise which I took as Divine Providence and validation of the value of my 25% Irish heritage two days before St. Paddy's Day. I couldn't remember much about the humi because it was sort of buried with all the other junk on their counter, but all the way out there today I kept imaging a cavernous box with a nice analog hygro and some sort of humidification thing inside.

When I identified myself as the winner, Tony the proprietor went to the back room and retrieved the box. It was big and heavy with a nice dent in the lid. Oh well, I thought, it was free so I wouldn't quibble. He opened it up and showed me the three trays that collectively held 45 Padilla 32's each in its own little compartment. I could see that with these trays inside there was no room for a hygrometer or any type of humidification device except for maybe a Boveda or two and even then it would be a tight fit.

So I really have mixed feelings about this thing. I'm grateful for having had the good fortune to win something, but I can't see that it has much practical use unless I use it without the trays which I suppose I could use in some other container like my tupperdore or maybe that coolidore project I've been contemplating. Another dilemma is that the cedar smell is really overpowering...much more so than any other humidor I've seen (or smelled). I'm thinking that might be due to it's having lived in the 72% humidified air of the shop all its life and that after it's adjusted to life in the outside world the exterior will dry out enough to lessen the mucho cedar aroma. It might make a nice office humidor.

Anyway, that's my story on this St. Patrick's Day Eve!

(pics added to post #12)

Did that humidor come with the original cigars? Those are awesome cigars, and very expensive.

Congrats!

We need pictures :) :)

Congrats on the win!! Thanks for sharing your story!

-Aaron

Ehh... send it to me then. I'm sure you don't have any use for it. ;)

Hi Doc,
How's the seal on it? Is it actually a humidor, or a fancy box?

At first I thought you meant it was filled up with cigars, which would have been awesome. But as others have stated, this thread is useless without pics! :p

At first I thought you meant it was filled up with cigars, which would have been awesome. But as others have stated, this thread is useless without pics! :p

Yeah...well...you're useless too! (just kidding) :laugh:

Here's the pics:

The dent (eh, it can probably be buffed out...yeah, sure!):

The open maw (notice the faint Scotch tape stains from where they attached the raffle sign):

With it's innards disgorged:

Fake velvet bottom showing its fine Oriental heritage:

With the dual latches closed, it seems to seal nicely. Other than the nice dent in the lid it's pretty nice and will probably become my office humi (with trays removed, hygro and humidification added) The displaced trays will fit perfectly into my tupperdore.

Nice humidor! Hey, for free, you can't complain right? Do the slots in the bottom come out? If so, I'd definitely make that a desktop humi.

Nice humidor! Hey, for free, you can't complain right? Do the slots in the bottom come out? If so, I'd definitely make that a desktop humi.

Yes! The price was certainly right! All three trays do come out, so it can easily be converted to a desktop.

It's hard to tell how deep the dent is, but you may be able to pull it out a little bit and touch it up. Even with the dent, it would make a very nice desktop humi.

I Googled this thing and found some ads for what looks like the identical humi filled with cigars ranging from $999 to $1099. Seems like a lot of money. I wonder how many sold at these prices?

It's hard to tell how deep the dent is, but you may be able to pull it out a little bit and touch it up. Even with the dent, it would make a very nice desktop humi.

Since the dent is merely cosmetic and doesn't affect the inside, I've decided to just concoct a colorful story about how it got there...maybe along the lines of an irate girlfriend slamming her stiletto heel on it or something. :laugh: