• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padilla Habano Churchill 7 x 48

morcerf

My first review, so please take that into consideration when grading me. This is also all from memory.

Size: 7 x 48
Shape: Churchill
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Drink: Semi-fresh squeezed lemonade
Activity: Reading - Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I decided to celebrate a friend's son's birth last night with a Padilla Habano Churchill from a Padilla sampler I recently purchased at auction. These are reported to sport a 5 year old Habano wrapper. Taking in its appearance I realize I love Churchills. Even though I rarely smoke them due to the time required, in my mind, they are the epitome of what a cigar should look like, rivaled only by a Perfecto. This particular Churchill is no exception. It is a herculean beauty - flawless - unless you consider a slight vein running up the side, though it is not prominent at all. The seams are barely visible. A lovely medium brown in color. A classic but not pretentious band graces the top of the cigar. I have seen the redesigned Padilla bands, but I prefer this older style (though my band didn't have the "Habano" & "Cuba" on either side of the "P").

300px-Padilla-Habano.jpg

After I clip the slightest amount from the head, I test the draw. Perfect. I can't quite place the flavor, but it is pleasing to me - subtle, sort of a warm coziness to it. I had read very mixed reviews on the Habano so I wasn't sure what to expect. I toast the foot with my Xikar Executive & savor the aroma of freshly lit tobacco. My mouth begins to water, I hope my expectations aren't rising too high. I then properly light the foot & find I am transported into bliss via the flavorful bounty this cigar has to offer me. I then take a close look at my light; an excellent, even light.

Again, it is difficult for me to place the flavors, but it is very toasty, cozy & distantly sweet. My semi-fresh squeezed lemonade proves a worthy partner for this dance. As I settle in for a pleasant summer evening's smoke, I realize I probably do want to bite on a bundle of 15 Habano Torpedo 2nds being offered; but will they match the Churchill? The smoke is plentiful but not thick, & for sitting in my humidor for only a week & a 1/2, very smooth & enjoyable. The burn is rather sharp - it seems dryboxing is very helpful in this regard. The ash holds on for an inch & then falls. For the 1st third, it maintains its smooth toastiness. It may be because my tobacconist used the description of "warm bread" to describe another cigar I purchased this evening, but that description keeps resurfacing in my mind as I smoke the Habano.

As I move into the 2nd third, it develops a subtle, sweet spiciness - cinnamon, definitely cinnamon. What a pleasant surprise, I can actually detect a definitive flavor! Yes, that bundle is mine. The burn starts to slow down on one side but it mostly corrects itself with some hearty puffs. I am thoroughly enjoying the new found spice as I progress. Will I be able to nub this one? It's so smooth & burning so well, there is hope (it would be the 1st time). Time for a 2nd glass of lemonade.

The last 3rd of the cigar starts to produce some bitterness, which seems to be consistent across almost every cigar I have smoked, so I must be smoking too fast or I am misconstruing the change in flavor? I notice the cigar appears to be tunneling so I touch up the wrapper. That seems to help & it mostly returns to similar flavors that existed in the 1st third, though not quite as smooth. I continue it down to about 2 inches & decide that nubbing isn't an option. It has gotten quite strong for my taste.

4/5

1 point available for:
-Appearance
-Prelight draw
-1st third
-2nd third
-Last third

All in all this was a win in my book. Thank you for reading.

Very nice review!!

You might be smoking too quickly if you see the cigar's ash form a point...it is usually a clear sign of smoking too quickly. I have heard of people only taking a puff every 30 seconds or so, but I think that would take away from the enjoyment. I'd suggest you keep an eye on your ash - if it cones, smoke slower - if it is flat, keep enjoying.

-Aaron

My first review, so please take that into consideration when grading me. This is also all from memory.

Size: 7 x 48
Shape: Churchill
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Drink: Semi-fresh squeezed lemonade
Activity: Reading - Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I decided to celebrate a friend's son's birth last night with a Padilla Habano Churchill from a Padilla sampler I recently purchased at auction. These are reported to sport a 5 year old Habano wrapper. Taking in its appearance I realize I love Churchills. Even though I rarely smoke them due to the time required, in my mind, they are the epitome of what a cigar should look like, rivaled only by a Perfecto. This particular Churchill is no exception. It is a herculean beauty - flawless - unless you consider a slight vein running up the side, though it is not prominent at all. The seams are barely visible. A lovely medium brown in color. A classic but not pretentious band graces the top of the cigar. I have seen the redesigned Padilla bands, but I prefer this older style (though my band didn't have the "Habano" & "Cuba" on either side of the "P").

300px-Padilla-Habano.jpg

After I clip the slightest amount from the head, I test the draw. Perfect. I can't quite place the flavor, but it is pleasing to me - subtle, sort of a warm coziness to it. I had read very mixed reviews on the Habano so I wasn't sure what to expect. I toast the foot with my Xikar Executive & savor the aroma of freshly lit tobacco. My mouth begins to water, I hope my expectations aren't rising too high. I then properly light the foot & find I am transported into bliss via the flavorful bounty this cigar has to offer me. I then take a close look at my light; an excellent, even light.

Again, it is difficult for me to place the flavors, but it is very toasty, cozy & distantly sweet. My semi-fresh squeezed lemonade proves a worthy partner for this dance. As I settle in for a pleasant summer evening's smoke, I realize I probably do want to bite on a bundle of 15 Habano Torpedo 2nds being offered; but will they match the Churchill? The smoke is plentiful but not thick, & for sitting in my humidor for only a week & a 1/2, very smooth & enjoyable. The burn is rather sharp - it seems dryboxing is very helpful in this regard. The ash holds on for an inch & then falls. For the 1st third, it maintains its smooth toastiness. It may be because my tobacconist used the description of "warm bread" to describe another cigar I purchased this evening, but that description keeps resurfacing in my mind as I smoke the Habano.

As I move into the 2nd third, it develops a subtle, sweet spiciness - cinnamon, definitely cinnamon. What a pleasant surprise, I can actually detect a definitive flavor! Yes, that bundle is mine. The burn starts to slow down on one side but it mostly corrects itself with some hearty puffs. I am thoroughly enjoying the new found spice as I progress. Will I be able to nub this one? It's so smooth & burning so well, there is hope (it would be the 1st time). Time for a 2nd glass of lemonade.

The last 3rd of the cigar starts to produce some bitterness, which seems to be consistent across almost every cigar I have smoked, so I must be smoking too fast or I am misconstruing the change in flavor? I notice the cigar appears to be tunneling so I touch up the wrapper. That seems to help & it mostly returns to similar flavors that existed in the 1st third, though not quite as smooth. I continue it down to about 2 inches & decide that nubbing isn't an option. It has gotten quite strong for my taste.

4/5

1 point available for:
-Appearance
-Prelight draw
-1st third
-2nd third
-Last third

All in all this was a win in my book. Thank you for reading.

Very nice review!!

You might be smoking too quickly if you see the cigar's ash form a point...it is usually a clear sign of smoking too quickly. I have heard of people only taking a puff every 30 seconds or so, but I think that would take away from the enjoyment. I'd suggest you keep an eye on your ash - if it cones, smoke slower - if it is flat, keep enjoying.

-Aaron
Thank you for the tip. 30 seconds or so, that sounds about right...though I just can't help it when I'm enjoying a cigar. I'll see if I can work on that. Often it seems as though I smoke too slowly & have to relight from time to time (humidor @ 65%). But I think the dryboxing is helping that. I just don't always know what or when I am going to smoke.

Thank you for the compliment also.