• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padon 1926

Big B

We finally had a beautiful day even though the weather man called for rain rain rain. Surprising I know, he was wrong. I had a couple hours to blow so decided to smoke my one and only Padron 1926. This was my first 26 as well as my first Padron in the natural wrapper. I wanted to do a review on this smoke since it seems like Im not the only only one who leans towards the maduro wrapper.
b400eea2.jpg

The size of this guy is a little small for my taste but it was very well priced on the devil sight and I couldn't resist. Weighting in at 48*4 it fit into my time frame easily.
The #35 was very firm with just a little give when squeezed, had just a little bit of oil present and one vein running halfway up the cigar. With the cap punched, I found a very loose draw, more so then any other Padron I have had which surprised me with how firm it was.

With the cigar toasted nicely, I take my first draw. Slow and steady reveals a charred oak flavor as well as what I would describe as a dark expresso flavor at the end. There is a light white pepper spice on the back of the tongue as well.

cd769bb8.jpg

Im really being slow with this thing due to the loose draw but its not getting hot and Im getting a good volume of smoke. The first third delivers a nice tobacco flavor accompanied with a charred oak flavor. Actually it kind of reminds me of the taste of a good steak that has been just slightly overdone on the edges that some might call burnt :D . Its not a bad taste at all, Im enjoying the flavor but wish it was a little stronger. The finish so far is very short and the smoke seems mild-med at best. Im still getting a white pepper on the back of the tongue which Im enjoying.

4623470a.jpg

I am surprised at the burn of this rascal. Coming into the second third I have had to touch up the cigar due to it being almost 3/4 of an inch off. Doesn't seem to be affecting the smoke at all though. The second third stays true with the flavors and being honest started and finished before I new it The Padron 35 is smoking fairly fast. Im sure due to its size coupled with a loose draw.

cdcaa0e2.jpg

The final third still delivers the same flavor profile which hasn't strayed from the start. I am enjoying this cigar although not as impressed as I expected to be. The burn has probably been the worst of all Padron's I have smoked. It wasn't so bad that it affected the taste or really the smoking experience but I am just use to Padron's being, well, perfect. I had to lay this one down with about 3/4 of an inch left, it was just getting too hot.

61dc9992.jpg

Overall I did enjoy this cigar. I can tell you that I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be but it was good. It really needed to have a stronger flavor. Don't quote me on this but I believe Padron ranks this as a full cigar. I never got that, a medium would be as high as I would go and thats probably pushing it. I think I might have forgotten to mention that this was a very smooth cigar from start to finish. It never gave me a metallic or acidic flavor throughout. Probably wont be spending the money for another Padron 1926 #35 in a natural wrapper anytime soon but definitely want to try a 26 in maduro.

Thanks for the review. I snuck one of these guys and a couple 1964s into my latest pipe tobacco order. I'm anxious to give them a try after all that I have read around here.

What's that your drinking?

Nice review! Great pics, too.

Yep, most of us get the Mads but I happen to have one #26 Nat and you've made me curious.

Maybe after the rain, rain, rain!

Thanks for the review. I snuck one of these guys and a couple 1964s into my latest pipe tobacco order. I'm anxious to give them a try after all that I have read around here.

What's that your drinking?
I've always wanted to add a couple cigars to my pipe tobacco order.

I'm curious how your experience plays out. Both smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com have a wide selection of singles making it tempting..

I'm interested at what's in the glass, as well. I could stare at that first picture all day. So dark and beautiful... :D Nice cigar, too!

Nice review. I would imagine that the loose draw played a part in not getting full enjoyment out of it. Smoke a couple of more because the Naturals are simply delicious in my opinion. Don't give up after one, they are just too good to write off. Maybe try punching it to see if that helps with the draw and sip it, i.e. take your time. The slower I smoke these the better they are.

Thanks all. The pictures turned out all right, specially considering they were taken with my phone. I was drinking a Guinness that night, mIght of been a little stout for that smoke but I enjoyed the pairing. It was a good cigar, just wish it was a little fuller.

Nice review, thanks for the great pics.....:thumbs:

IMHO, the guys at Padron know how to ferment, age, and blend tobacco as well or better than anyone else in the world. Generally, I find the Padron natural wrapper smokes allow more of this careful blending to shine through, where the maduro wrappers, while wonderful, tend to overshadow the blends a bit. Generally. Sometimes.

As such, I tend to keep both regular and maduro wrappers in the cabinet. They are both great, yet different. I enjoy them both and wouldn't want to have to pick one or the other.

Cheers - B.B.S.

[font="arial][size="2"]Your review was great! Beautiful photos, too. I just made the last photo my desktop wallpaper....couldn't resist. [/size][/font]
smile.gif

[font="arial] [/font]
[font="arial] [/font][font="arial][size="2"]
The final third still delivers the same flavor profile which hasn't strayed from the start. I am enjoying this cigar although not as impressed as I expected to be. The burn has probably been the worst of all Padron's I have smoked. It wasn't so bad that it affected the taste or really the smoking experience but I am just use to Padron's being, well, perfect. I had to lay this one down with about 3/4 of an inch left, it was just getting too hot.
[/size][/font][font="arial][size="2"]
I thought I was the only one who was experiencing this problem. The 1926 # 35 is one of my all time favorites, but I have burn issues with them as well. Can't beat the taste, but the burn issues can put a damper on an otherwise pleasant smoking experience. [/size][/font]
[font="arial][/font] [font="arial][/font] [font="arial][/font] [quote="BlindedByScience, post: 1048257"]
Generally, I find the Padron natural wrapper smokes allow more of this careful blending to shine through, where the maduro wrappers, while wonderful, tend to overshadow the blends a bit. Generally. Sometimes.
[/quote]
What he said. I am a maduro girl but lately have been gravitating more towards the naturals for this reason.

I've always wanted to add a couple cigars to my pipe tobacco order.

I'm curious how your experience plays out. Both smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com have a wide selection of singles making it tempting..

This was actually the first time that I have done so...at least that I can recall. Honestly, I don't know if I would do it again, not with singles at least. They were packed just in the ziplock bag that you would get at a B&M and then dropped into the box with all the other tins and bulk tobacco. They seemed to have survived the trip alright, but I did panic a little when I opened the box.

Nice review. The Padron 1926 Serie No. 35 is one of my favorite winter smokes...along with Partagas Shorts. I too tend to lean towards the maduro wrapper. I've smoked a few naturals, but definitely prefer the maduro.

Didn't read past the "whats in your glass?" question.

It looks like Guinness to me.

Love the 1926 Natties!

Really nice review!

These are by far my favorite morning smoke, have burned through many boxes of these.

Great review and pictures.