• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 1926 #1

lordlister

You can observe a lot by just watching
I was inspired to smoke one of these beauties after reading BBS's recent review of the Padron Exclusivo Natural. I haven't smoked a 1926 Padron in several months, partly because I try not to make a habit of smoking expensive sticks on a frequent basis, but mostly because I've smoked enough Padrons that I've become too familiar with the profile. The quality and consistency of these cigars is so exceptional, I tend to get the same experience every time. In part, this is a good thing. However, as a cigar smoker, I cherish the variety and unexpected just as much if not more so than I appreciate the tried and true. Today, the 1926 #1 natural was calling my name, so who am I to refuse?

gallery_3211_658_109470.jpg

As we all know, this is one beautiful stick. Peeling off the Padron embossed wax paper reveals a line of perfectly box pressed oily cigars reminiscent of confectionary. I purchased this box over 2 years ago, and I can't remember when I smoked the other 10 cigars. The cigar I plucked out of the box is firm from head to toe with no soft spots. After scoring and lifting the cap, pre light draw was almost too loose, with hints of hazelnut almost as rich and sweet as Nutella. After toasting the foot and taking a few puffs, the overwhelming first impression is of bright saccharine sweetness. The cigar is uncomphortably sweet, so much so all the other elements are completely hidden in the background. To me, this presentation is the epitome of a cigar that lacks complexity- meaning a singular taste overpowers the senses. The draw now seems perfect, and the cigar starts off like every 1926 #1 I've ever had. There's plenty of thick greyish black smoke. As the cigar eases into it's first 3rd, this sweetness slowly backs off, and becomes almost elemental, evolving into the more natural texture of sugar cane. This transition is rather quick, evolving over the first 5 minutes or so. Now, I can detect other characteristics peaking through the foggy background. I can now apprciate hints of hazelnut and an earthy character. The cigar is becoming more and more complex in front of my eyes. After another 10 minutes, I can begin to appreciate hints of cocco, leather, and the earthy flavours which begin to bubble with subtle spice reminiscent of nutmeg.

med_gallery_3211_658_39294.jpg

med_gallery_3211_658_47408.jpg

As the second third approaches, the cigar continues to evolve very subtly. The profile becomes more and more dry, in a very pleasant way. The baseline characteristic remain the same, but new elements, such as expresso, hints of butter, and white chocolate become noticable but very subdued. The burn is razor sharp, and construction remains impecable. The first ash falls off after about 4.5 cm, but only after I accidentally bump the ash on the ashtray.

med_gallery_3211_658_9801.jpg

gallery_3211_658_40990.jpg

med_gallery_3211_658_78169.jpg

The cigar continues to subtly evolve in the last 3rd, and now it hit it's stride. The progression of the cigar's profile is consistent with previous examples, becoming less and less sugary, dryier, and the underlying characteristics become more transparent. The profile becomes most visceral, reminiscent of the ancient, leathery, smoky and ambrosial air at the billards hall at Knole Hall in Seven Oaks in Kent. I can't think of anything more refined.

Great review and very detailed!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: And thanks also. I just picked up a few sampler boxes to try. I haven't been able to try Padron yet, but now I know about what I can expect. Sure am glad I bought them now. Looking forward to trying them myself. After your review not sure if I am to smoke it, or eat it. :laugh:

Steveo

Great review! I've got to try and get hold of one of these natties. Sounds like a really good smoke. Thanks for the review, great job!

Great review. Your comments about the first third were interesting; most every premium Padron I've ever had the pleasure to smoke took a short while to get "started" profile wise. It's typically only a few mm and then the flavor profile then comes on with a real "bang". Sounds very much like what you experkenced.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Great review. I think my preference for maddies have kept me from trying some great cigars, this being one of them. I'll have to get passed my bias and give these a try, you make it sound like a great stick.