• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 1926 Age Verification

headstrong

I just received 5 Padron 1926 #9 in a trade from someone claiming they are from the original release in 2002. My question is, is it possible to estimate the release date based on the serial number?

Of the 5, 3 have a serial number in the 550XXX series, while the other 2 have a serial number in the 036XXX series.

headstrong said:
I just received 5 Padron 1926 #9 in a trade from someone claiming they are from the original release in 2002.  My question is, is it possible to estimate the release date based on the serial number?

Of the 5, 3 have a serial number in the 550XXX series, while the other 2 have a serial number in the 036XXX series.
[snapback]297997[/snapback]​

If they truly are just serial numbers, then yes, I'd imagine you could. I'd have to crack open some boxes and look to see if they are actually sequential though.

I have heard of Jorge asking people to give him the serial numbers so they can track the origins of a cigar down though, so there has to be some reasonable method to the serial numbers.

Yeah, I've looked in the past, but no way I can find to do the tracking yourself. I thought it would be cool if they had something like the Federal Government's bond tracking website, where you can just enter in the serial number and it tells you how old it is, how much interest it's earned, etc. No such thing for Padron's though. Too bad, it might help with the counterfeit detection.

You could even update the entry: 550379222 - Smoked in 2004 by Moki.

KevPriest

The serial numbers are non-sequential in a box on purpose, and as far as telling the age from a serial number I'm not sure. Padron logs the numbers but I dont know to what depth information is kept.

I just received 5 Padron 1926 #9 in a trade from someone claiming they are from the original release in 2002. My question is, is it possible to estimate the release date based on the serial number?

I should have read this more clearly, if its the age of the cigars as pertains to when they were released there is only one to true way I know of. That entails having the actual box the cigars came in. In each box between the outside of the box and the cedar "lip" is a slip of paper with the month and year the box was filled. This will at least let you know when they went into the box, which from my experience is about 3 months before we receive them at the store.

I do not believe that the original release had serial numbers.

I think this guy may be on to something. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they started the serial numbers to thwart counterfeiters, and I got the impression that they didn't expect counterfeiters from the beginning. So it would be reasonable to say that the original release cigars only had one band, not the second band with the serial numbers.

I think this guy may be on to something. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they started the serial numbers to thwart counterfeiters, and I got the impression that they didn't expect counterfeiters from the beginning. So it would be reasonable to say that the original release cigars only had one band, not the second band with the serial numbers.

From Padron 1926 Serie / 1964 Anniversary Reference (post 15)

The Padrón Band Questions

"Here's my understanding; Padrón originally had bands that said: 'Padrón 1964 Aniversario'. These came out in 1994 to celebrate Padrón's 30th anniversary as a cigar company.

They added José Padrón's signature to the back of the band in 1999, and were printing both "Anniversary" and "Anniversario" bands overlapping this time period.

The second band with a serial number on it was introduced in February of 2001.

So if you have a Padrón that has no second band, it is either pre-Feb 01, or it is fake. If there is no signature on the back, it is either pre-1999, or it is fake.

All of these various measures were taken because Padrón cigars had become so popular and sought-after that counterfeits were rampant." - Andrew 'Moki' Welch

Thanks to all for the responses.

I was under the impression the 1926 line was introduced in 2002, one year after Padron had started putting serial numbers on their 1964 cigars.