• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron

smitty0255

OK - maybe you guys can help me out here.

I have always heard Padron pronounced "puh-DRONE." The other night i was playing poker with a friend of mine and a group of his friends. When I pronounced it like that, they all just rolled out laughing because they pronounce it "PAY-drone."

Am I pronouncing it wrong or are these guys just crazy?

You are more correct... it is pronounced "pah-DRONE". Your buddies are dorks. ;)

Edited for spelling.

smitty0255 said:
"PAY-drone."
[snapback]210232[/snapback]​

sounds like your buddies are bitter for having to pay a premium price for a premium cigar. :p

alexgtp said:
I pronounce it pah-drone..

never heard PAY-drone..
[snapback]210244[/snapback]​
...yep. Never heard it any other way....

Regards - B.B.S.

it's Spanish, so taking general Spanish pronunciation rules..which are:

if it ends in a vowel, n, or s, the SECOND to last syllable is stressed.

if it ends in any other letter, the last syllable is stressed.

But here is where Spanish makes it easy to change rules.

The correct spelling is Padrón ... so without the accent, the first syllable would be PAY but the second would be drun (short u) the U you hear in "I run" (like you heard) ...but the accent signifies a stress on that syllable, which otherwise wouldn't get it...so instead we say Pah-DRONE

christ0pher said:
it's Spanish, so taking general Spanish pronunciation rules..which are:

if it ends in a vowel, n, or s, the SECOND to last syllable is stressed.

if it ends in any other letter, the last syllable is stressed.

But here is where Spanish makes it easy to change rules.

The correct spelling is Padrón ... so without the accent, the first syllable would be PAY but the second would be drun (short u) the U you hear in "I run" (like you heard) ...but the accent signifies a stress on that syllable, which otherwise wouldn't get it...so instead we say Pah-DRONE
[snapback]210253[/snapback]​
i don't think the accent has anything to do with how the vowel is pronounced. in spanish, the letter a makes the 'ah' sound, e makes the 'ay' sound.

stevehawk said:
You are more correct... it is pronounced "pah-DRONE". Your buddies are dorks. ;)

Edited for spelling.
[snapback]210234[/snapback]​

actually, not to nit-pick, but they are geeks. dorks at least know how to pronunciate.

smitty0255 said:
OK - maybe you guys can help me out here.

I have always heard Padron pronounced "puh-DRONE." The other night i was playing poker with a friend of mine and a group of his friends. When I pronounced it like that, they all just rolled out laughing because they pronounce it "PAY-drone."

Am I pronouncing it wrong or are these guys just crazy?
[snapback]210232[/snapback]​

"PAY-drone"... hehe... ask them if they want to play some "pooooooo-ker" ;)

moki said:
"PAY-drone"... hehe... ask them if they want to play some "pooooooo-ker" ;)
[snapback]210442[/snapback]​

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"PAY-drone"... hehe... ask them if they want to play some "pooooooo-ker"

Yeah - I will be asking them to play poker a lot, because they not only suck at pronunciation, but they suck at poker. The question is if they will let me come back after winning all of their money ...

the mayor said:
stevehawk said:
You are more correct...  it is pronounced "pah-DRONE".  Your buddies are dorks.  ;)

Edited for spelling.
[snapback]210234[/snapback]​

actually, not to nit-pick, but they are geeks. dorks at least know how to pronunciate.
[snapback]210441[/snapback]​

Sorry, Mayor, I didn't mean to offend any of our resident dorks. I hope you'll accept my apologies for the unintended slight upon your personal character. :whistling:

:sign:

How about Partagas...

I've heard it as Partagas, quick and easy, standard english.

And Par-Taygas

It would be pahr-TAH-gahs...

Just remember that the "a" in Spanish is pronounced "ah".

Now, anyone know how to pronounce Xicar? Is it Xi-car... or Xee-car?

stevehawk said:
It would be pahr-TAH-gahs...

Just remember that the "a" in Spanish is pronounced "ah".

Now, anyone know how to pronounce Xicar? Is it Xi-car... or Xee-car?
[snapback]211086[/snapback]​

Actually, the accent should be put on the "GAHS" of Par-tah-"GAHS". Heard an old Cuban man say it like that one day...it stuck in my head.

-Fetter

I pronounce it Zeecar myself but I'm ussually wrong on my pronunciation. Untill this thread I was also pronouncing Padron "Paydrone" :blush: