• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Palio Cutter

Swe-Mike

I have a Zino double-cutter but I can't seem to get good clean cut's with it, so I would like to replace it. I've been looking at this. Does anyone have any experience of it? Is it any good?

How do round cutters compare to the blade ones? Doesn't a blade cutter provide more... hmmm I can't seem to find the word. I guess it's impossible to cut a piramide or belicoso with a round cutter, right?

Swe-Mike said:
I have a Zino double-cutter but I can't seem to get good clean cut's with it, so I would like to replace it. I've been looking at this. Does anyone have any experience of it? Is it any good?

How do round cutters compare to the blade ones? Doesn't a blade cutter provide more... hmmm I can't seem to find the word. I guess it's impossible to cut a piramide or belicoso with a round cutter, right?
I have a Palio (as well as a bunch of others, including the zino you already have - I'm a confirmed "cutter-aholic" - ;) ).

This is a very good cutter. But I wouldn't say it does a better or worse job than the Zino you already have. It does have a bigger hole, which is good for cigars above about 54 gauge, where the zino has no more room. The zino (after about six months) was known to open up in my pocket (whereas the Palio doesn't do that) but the zino is smaller and less cumbersome overall (I don't find the palio's extra bulk to be useful for ergonomics per their marketing literature - but that's just me).

How long have you had your zino? It might just be due for sharpening or replacing. Note that, unlike marketing gibberish on the Palio site, I haven't found that the palio keeps its edge any better or worse than the zino - but that's just my unscientific opinion. Also, unlike marketing gibberish on all sites, you will find that these cutters (both of them) show noticeable* dulling after 4-5 boxes of cigars - in my opinion, all the "self sharpening" marketing language is bull. Again, just my opinion.

* Yes - "noticeable" is only relevant if you're anal-retentive like me... :D

If price is an object, then there are plenty of other cutters that will do almost as good a job - but in my experience the 2 above are among the best I've run across. There are others that cost about the same that do about the same level of job, but are more cumbersome/heavier, which is a large factor for me (last thing I need is another thing in my pocket).

Not positive what you were asking about round vs. blade cutters - and how round cutters can't cut piramide shapes...? The only cutters that have trouble with piramide shapes are punch cutters (is this what you meant by a round cutter?) and wedge-style cutters. Double-edge guillotines (both the zino and palio) will cut anything that fits into their opening just fine.

Cheers,

- Oak

Great info oak.

I was looking into a cutter for large ring gauge cigars. Not for cutting the heads but for cutting off the burned part when you want to smoke the rest of a cigar later.

I was in the cigar shop today and I noticed Xicar has some cool cutters which are just glorified, little pocket knives. Then it hit me. A nice, sharp pocketknife will do the trick just fine. I'll keep an eye out, but in the meantime I'll use my expensive kitchen knife. I forget what it's calls, Henckels or something.

Get a Xikar. Works like a dream. There are a lot of SAK fans here too. Great cutter but I still prefer the Xi.

When I had a Palio it was the only cutter I used. The only problem I ran into with it is that tobacco would get in the track of the cutter, causing it to stick. Another BOTL recommended to put the cutter in my dishwasher with it open and run it through a cycle with the dishes, no heat dry.

I thought that was strange but my buddy has never steered me wrong. Ran the cutter through the cycle, pulled it out and it was nice and clean and worked fine. Go figure!

Lumberg said:
Why don't you have it any more Shadow?
Southwest Airlines lost it with my luggage out in Vegas earlier in the year. :angry:

I bought a Palio not to long ago, and it cut the best of any cutter I have ever had (and I have a couple different Xikars, which I also like). The Palio blades are basically razors, which explains why they cut so well. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with it right off the bat, because it developed a bur in the center of both blades. I haven't tried sending it back yet, so I don't know how their service measures up. I doubt that they stand behind their product to the extent that Xikar does, however. With Xikar, there are no questions asked. Send it back, and you get a new one for free.

Go Xikar! They definitely have the best cutters, and plus they even give you a free case to put it in! The Mean Sardine made by them will cut a large cigar (56 + ring)

cigah_smoka said:
Go Xikar! They definitely have the best cutters, and plus they even give you a free case to put it in! The Mean Sardine made by them will cut a large cigar (56 + ring)
Good call!

I have a couple of buddies of mine who have Palio's. A great cutter with no "getting used to time" needed. Pricing locally is pretty good too

My buddy has a Palio and I enjoy using it all the time. A nice, clean cut cigar after cigar... I was thinking about getting one myself.

Aloha,

Wade

Thanks guys! A lot of great answers as allways :thumbs:

When I was talking about round-cutters, I meant something like this. So they are called "punch", right?

Swe-Mike said:
Thanks guys! A lot of great answers as allways :thumbs:

When I was talking about round-cutters, I meant something like this. So they are called "punch", right?
yep cos you are in effect punching a hole in the end of the cigar.