• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas Black Label

theginguy

I just put away a Partagas Black sent to me by Dulaney22. So I thought I would right up a little review.

First Impressions

I'm not sure on which cigar this was from the series, I think it might have been a Magnifico? 6x54. It has a Connecticut Habano wrapper with a sun-grown La Vega Especial binder and all-Ligero filler tobaccos.

When first looking at it, I was thinking Wow, it's big. :) At least for a newbe like me. The color kind of reminded me of when I go fishing and I get a snag on the bottom and I pull up that old stick covered in muck. :) In other words, it's a dark cigar. The wrapper was pretty smooth and oily though. It has a rich smell to it and a very strong taste to it when I put it in my mouth.

I used a double bladed guillotine cutter and made a clean cut. The first inch or so of the cigar was a little too strong for me. It was a little peppery and astringent, leaving that strong tobacco bitterness in my mouth and the hot pepper in my throat. So I wasn't too impressed at first and thought that I wasn't really going to like this cigar.

But about a 1/4 into it, it mellowed out and became very smooth the rest of the way. There is a definite "burnt" quality to this cigar. I kept thinking of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Starbucks Espresso Roast and the charred part of a well grilled steak. All things I really like.

But there were a few spots where it lightened up and actually delivered some lighter flavors. There was a definite cedar smell and taste to it. At times I thought of Black Powder Smoke. There was even some floral tones going on.

It smoked well.... not too easy but not too tight. The smoke at the end of it had a nice blue tint. The ash dark with some creamy spots, it reminded me of what the top of a European Espresso looks like when you first get it, you know, right before you dump half a pound of raw sugar into it. :)

Final Thoughts

All in all a pleasant smoke. Very smooth and creamy. It would be a great cold weather smoke. You know, the times when you have to work out in the freezing cold for hours on end, so when you finally drag your dog tired butt inside all you want is something strong and black. :)

But unfortunately, not the smoke for me. After all, I'm still a newbe. It was a little too full for me. It gave me a pretty good nic buzz and was just a little too strong for my personal liking.

But I've got two more to put into my coolerdor and I'll save those for those cold winter nights when I have to be outside and I just want something that will warm me up.