• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas Lusitanias

Fyodor

I bought a box of May 04' Lusitanias last summer. I smoked a couple when I got them and they were pretty good but not as good as I would have liked. I smoked a couple more about a month or two ago and they were pretty tasteless. I guess they are deep into a sick period. I always planned on ageing them significantly, I just wanted to try a few so that I could judge the improvement after ageing. How much time do they minimally need and when do they reach their peak? My guess is that they will need about five years (from 04) at least. I'll probably try one a year to see how they are coming along. How do you guys feel about the year 04' in general. Is it a good year? Is there any way to tell this early?

I have not smoked any Partagas Lusis from 04, but in general I've been happy with the 04s that I have smoked. I've had Monte No. 2s, HdM Epi 2s, JL Sel. 2s, Boli PCs, and others...all have been quality. Aging characteristics? Won't know until much, much later :p However, judging from the cigars themselves, don't know why they would not age into fantastic cigars.

Just my 0.02.

5 years is a good rule of thumb for Cuban cigars with 49 ring gauge. Thinner cigars like 42 and below can be very good at the 3 year mark.

A Lusitania, being a large cigar, needs a minimum of 5 years. There's no real way to tell what will happen with these newer blends, but I would put them in the 5-7 year range for aging to the point that they will start maturing. I've had some from around '94 that could still use some maturing though. The key to all of it, is to make sure they stay in the proper environment the whole time. If not, it's useless to age anything.

You know I'm hearing some really bad things (on another site) about these cigars or at least the 04's in generall. Underfilled, some kind of shady "cooking" process, different blends. Should I bother? Maybe I should find a more worthy box to age, space is very limited. Any ideas?

I mostly smoke larger size cigars and the Luci is a favorite of mine. Personal tastes aside? I don't smoke these regularly unless they have 5 years of age. I do smoke one at various points in time just to see how they are developing. At 4 years, I may smoke more than one, just to get a "closer look". However, the boxes I am sitting on don't get touched until at least 5.

Eric

Fyodor said:
You know I'm hearing some really bad things (on another site) about these cigars or at least the 04's in generall. Underfilled, some kind of shady "cooking" process, different blends. Should I bother? Maybe I should find a more worthy box to age, space is very limited. Any ideas?
[snapback]292818[/snapback]​

Keep looking and you should be able to find some with a bit more age on them. I picked up a cab of '98s a couple of years ago and burned through those suckers mighty quick. Well, most of them anyway.

After reading this thread I burned an 01 on Friday afternoon. It was still was a bit green for my palate and was really lacking that full taste I was hoping for.

:cool:

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 98, and it was terrific.
An 02 I smoked pretty recently (december) was too young.

smokelaw1 said:
[snapback]295768[/snapback]​

So all I need to do is let the one 05 I have in the humidor rest for another 7 years :laugh:

NorCalCigarLover said:
smokelaw1 said:
[snapback]295768[/snapback]​

So all I need to do is let the one 05 I have in the humidor rest for another 7 years :laugh:

[snapback]295821[/snapback]​

LOL. I was thinking the same thing about my 04's. I hope I live long enough to smoke these.