• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Passes in the Summer?

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
I have read some hints that passes do not occur during the summer due to the heat in the south/south west that may damage the cigars.

Do passes lessen in the summer because of this? I was working out the details for my first pass and wondered if I should shoot for early fall instead of late spring/summer.

I've been a little worried about this myself... it really would suck for the cigars to get "toasted" in the heat...

Yeah they dry up real fast in summers heat. If you had to ship cigars out, I would do it overnight. Not much chance the cigar damage then. They'll still get plenty warm but not for too long.

One summer I received a box of cigars that was sent to me priority mail. It must have been warm 75+ for the whole time. I opened up the box...and what did appear.. Beatles :0 Only a couple but that's what can happen. I got a new box of something different sent to me over night. Most of the original cigars were fine and the owner of the supplier was glad that I called so he could quarantine the rest of that shipment. LOL, you mention that word to a supplier...they freak!!!

All these current passes going on are a concern to me. ???

My box is probably all warm and dried out...wherever it is :(

I would definitely use caution when passing during the Summer. I would imagine as long as it's not insanely hot and you use plenty of humidification and the box gets to each stop quickly, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

MAKE SURE YOU INSURE ALL YOUR PASSES

Vewyphishy did a pass and his current one is the same I think, where the inside of the box is lined with Styrofoam, and I suspect it will help keep it cooler. I have a really nice Styrofoam Box that has walls about 2" thick, I bet it would be great for a summer pass.

I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about my own pass, but, it sounds like the Fall is smartest. That may not be so bad, it gives me time to get some more sticks!

M. Gipson :thumbs:

- after thought -

Would an ice chest with those jelly type blue ice packs keep 'em cool enough? Besides being somewhat heavier, are there other draw backs?

I was thinking of this also...mapping where people are is a big factor, those gell packs can maintain temp's in a cooler..I am thinking of doubling the tupador larger one lined w/stryo, cold packs in bottom, smaller tupador inside w/humi device.

You figure companies ship perishables all the time with no issues across oceans.

Cigars sent from factories to distributors to retailers are trucked, shipped with no issues.

I think provided the pass participants move the package along and use "proper" shipping services...not "media mail" but priority mail then there should be no problems.

Anyway....my 2 cents on the topic..not scientifically proven..but there's always a 1st.

Rnccen

I know I've received King Salmon from Alaska via mail, packed in styro with a few gel packs, and it was fine, I've even gotten frozen items from South Texas processor's that way, I think with a couple gel packs everything should be fine. Just don't want too have it too cold or it will sweat. Maybe wrap them in a couple towels to insulate them or something.

gatorsmg said:
My box is probably all warm and dried out...wherever it is :(

I would definitely use caution when passing during the Summer. I would imagine as long as it's not insanely hot and you use plenty of humidification and the box gets to each stop quickly, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

MAKE SURE YOU INSURE ALL YOUR PASSES
Referenced another post, insurance is pretty much no good since you have to produce receipts for your contents. Best insurance is the pass protection here at CP.

gawntrail said:
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about my own pass, but, it sounds like the Fall is smartest. That may not be so bad, it gives me time to get some more sticks!

M. Gipson :thumbs:

- after thought -

Would an ice chest with those jelly type blue ice packs keep 'em cool enough? Besides being somewhat heavier, are there other draw backs?
current passes are taking upwards of 5 days to get to their destination. Cooler would only work for a day or so.

I'm not too concerned about keeping it humid -- I can do that. I'm more concerned about a beetle outbreak if the packages are transported in the hot sun.

Moki,

Would the diligent use of individual baggies quarantine any infected sticks? or do those little demons eat plastic also?

Rnccen

Could require all participants to freeze the sticks prior to puting. I do not freeze my cigars. should I?????? I am getting a rather large inventory value wise.

Triple_D has a pass going with one of those small six-pack type coolers in the box. You'd be surprised, it is not very heavy, shipping charges were less than $7.00 and it seal perfectly and keeps the cigars nice an humidified.

This was one of the best schemes I've seen yet :thumbs:

coventrycat86 said:
Triple_D has a pass going with one of those small six-pack type coolers in the box. You'd be surprised, it is not very heavy, shipping charges were less than $7.00 and it seal perfectly and keeps the cigars nice an humidified.

This was one of the best schemes I've seen yet :thumbs:
That's exactly what I was thinking CC. With the blue gel thingies rigged to the lid or something (or below the sticks in a shallow container with breathing holes or something.

M. Gipson

gawntrail said:
That's exactly what I was thinking CC. With the blue gel thingies rigged to the lid or something (or below the sticks in a shallow container with breathing holes or something.

M. Gipson
Just to clarify -- DDD's pass doesn't use any cooling mechanism. It just uses a cooler for the sticks. I agree, it was a great idea, one I shamelessly ripped off:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=105454

You know what would definitely work, and save the hassle of refreezing, just use dry ice, it's dry and lasts quite a while, and is available at most grocery stores. :thumbs: :thumbs: :D

You can't ship dry ice in the mail........it is only stable at its freezing point...in regular atmosphere, it skips the liquid process (must pressurize for the liquid phase) and goes straight to gas......as it does the gas expands......if it is sealed up.........you get an explosion from the pressure.

Try this......get a 3 liter shasta soda bottle.......and a chunk of dry ice.......put about 2 inches of water in the bottle.......quickly (I mean quickly) put the chunk of dry ice in it.........cap it tight........shake......and throw it at least 20 feet from you. within 10 seconds you'll get an explosion that rivals a 1/4 stick of TNT (sound - not destructive value).

But remember, at least 20 feet........that plastic, frozen water, and dry ice shrapnel will do damage to flesh.

Why do you do it?..............'cause I get to blow **** up! (I've still got my Pyrotechnics AND Explosives Technician certifications). Interesting what 6 oz of plastique and a few aluminum channels can get you into (or out of) ;)

M. Gipson

I didn't mean seal it up, I figured a tupperdor in a styro cooler, from a gas station, with the dry ice in it. Fedex has a dry ice shipping method in a package for you. I think I will try that experiment though, it sounds pretty cool, got any other neat ideas for household items? :thumbs: :thumbs: :D :D

texasaggie said:
I didn't mean seal it up, I figured a tupperdor in a styro cooler, from a gas station, with the dry ice in it. Fedex has a dry ice shipping method in a package for you. I think I will try that experiment though, it sounds pretty cool, got any other neat ideas for household items? :thumbs: :thumbs: :D :D
Brake Fluid and ....scratch that.

I was going to givre you a second formula but a one armed cp member can't smoke very easily.