• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PC Won't Play AVI Files

gibu

Hey,

My PC plays about any video file I think of except AVI's for some reason. Media player goes looking for the codec but then says error and then just plays it as an audio file. If you look at properties it will say the audio codec is mpeg 3 but the video codec it lists as "unknown". I have tried the ace divx player but it just plays it as audio only right from the start. I have tried many different avi files and I'm sure now it's not a problem with the files.

I am running windows xp on a pentium 4 system with a 128 meg geforce 3 card. Windows and media player both say media player is compleatly updated. I disabled zone alarm just in case that was an issue in some way. I thought I had media player series 9 but info window in media player says it's version 8.00.00.4487. When I tell it to update though it says I have the latest version of media player series 9 and all of it's components.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks.

Try Real Media player. Also, just downloaded the DivX player from DivX.com. This player will play partial AVI's! Hope that helps.

Emo

When downloading the divx player... you should have a choice of just installing the codecs..most likely, your .avi files that are failing..will now play. :)

I had the same problem. Downloaded DivX and it plays fine now :p

I use windows media player.

Go to tools click otions click file types and check the box next to avi.

Thanks guys, the divx player did the trick. It works, and fixed the avi's for media player as well. :thumbs: