• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pelican Case War box

Salukis63

Late blooming FOG bomber
Hope someone can give some advice here... I've used Pelican cases for years as my Deployed humidor for traveling with my cigars all over the world with the military... my small 1400 has never had a problem keeping my sticks in a relative humidity somewhere between 67 and 70 percent.. for this deployment to Iraq I used a larger Pelican Case that currently is holding 6 boxes of cigars that I left in the boxes and made sure that I filled the case with just enough room for humidification devices...I had been using humicare pillows but since I can't find distilled water here I ordered some "cigar juice" and the gel jars to replace...it's supposed to regulate to 70% but all my sticks in that case are apparently too humid as they are hard to keep lit making them less enjoyable. My small case is a trooper and is keeping the sticks right where I like them... any ideas? I tried using the pressurization nob to allow the case to vent more this past week but it hasn't seemed to help...

Thanks!

R

Check this out...thin enough to fit in your case and is set at 65% so it can absorb excess moisture.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Humidity+Sheets

x 2 on Heartfelt. Don't use any cigar goop on their stuff though. To get distilled water, try going to your doc/medical people and see if they can spare some sterilized water.

the gel type of humidifiers, even when using the humidor solution, do overhumidify in the airtight cases.

considering that getting distilled water is a problem, I would go with Bovedas. I would say that 3 Bovedas should last you about a year in that airtight case, and they will regulate the humidity perfectly. The Cigar Caddy company chose to use Boveda in their large cases.

the gel type of humidifiers, even when using the humidor solution, do overhumidify in the airtight cases.

considering that getting distilled water is a problem, I would go with Bovedas. I would say that 3 Bovedas should last you about a year in that airtight case, and they will regulate the humidity perfectly. The Cigar Caddy company chose to use Boveda in their large cases.

This is similar to the 'arcylic jar' thread.

Ron's right...being airtight these things hold the humidity. Also, are the boxes cardboard or cedar....or just free cigars?
A little cedar in there may help as well.

Maybe your cigars are 'over himidified' at 70%. What's your Hygrometer read?

Boveda's will help...even with some of the gel type stuff in there.

See if you can get some battery water from your mechanics, which should be distilled water.

X2 on the Boveda pac's. Go with the 65% one's. Try THIS LINK

Thanks Folks! I'll try to find some distilled H2O from the sources mentioned- great ideas. And to answer one of the questions the sticks are in the original boxes Nubs, Perdomo ESV91s, Padron Anniversaries, Oliva Series V's, and other assorted goodies...it doesn't quite make up for the lack of Single Malt here...but it sure HELPS! :eek:)

Bovedas are also a good choice in this situation.