• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pepper Garden 2010

ELittle

Snowman Cage Inventor
It's that time of year! :thumbs:

I've begun my seedlings and just completed the first transplants today. I plan to get them into the garden around the first couple weeks in April. Not all of the seeds have sprouted yet, but here is this years line up:

Jalapenos
Cherry Peppers RIP
Congo Black Habaneros
Caribbean Red Habaneros RIP
White Bullet Habaneros RIP
Bhut Jolokia (also known as the Ghost Pepper)
Serrano
Cayenne

I'm really excited about the ghost peppers! They are rated at over 1 million scoville units (the average habanero is rated around 250k/300k) so they are about 3 or 4 times hotter than a standard habanero, making them the hottest pepper in the world.

I'll keep this thread updated with their progress and post pictures of my babies periodically.

Photo Album: Click the links below to go to the album and see them! :D
Feb 12 2010 - Seedlings Transplanted
May 7 2010 - 12 Plants Started In Pots

I'm really excited about the ghost peppers! They are rated at over 1 million scoville units (the average habanero is rated around 250k/300k) so they are about 3 or 4 times hotter than a standard habanero, making them the hottest pepper in the world.
OOOOOH!!! Coooool. :D I've read about these. Its so awesome that you've decided to grow them.

From the Wiki on Bhut Jolokiasi:
In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation announced plans to use the chillies in hand grenades, as a less lethal way to control rioters.
Imagine that!

Thanks for keeping us updated! Cant wait to see the progression. Ive always been fascinated with chili peppers, even though Im sort of a wuss when it comes to spicy food. :blush:

And I didnt know there were so many varieties of habaneros out there.

It's that time of year! :thumbs:

I've begun my seedlings and just completed the first transplants today. I plan to get them into the garden around the first couple weeks in April. Not all of the seeds have sprouted yet, but here is this years line up:

Jalapenos
Cherry Peppers
Congo Black Habaneros
Caribbean Red Habaneros
White Bullet Habaneros

I'll keep this thread updated with their progress and post pictures of my babies periodically.

Photo Album: Click the links below to go to the album and see them! :D
Feb 12 2010 - Seedlings Transplanted

Are you growing them mainly for the heat, or for flavor/heat? I've tried the white habs...they don't have much flavor. The Caribbean Red and Red Savina's are probably my favorite.

I'm growing the white and chocolate habaneros just because I haven't had them before. I like them mainly for the flavor and I would have to say that a fresh picked habanero has so much better flavor than any store bought habanero ever will, the flavor is amazing.

The ghost chilies I just want for the hell of it!

Due to an unforeseeable event the pepper plants were destroyed. Will be starting more soon. :D

I'm growing the white and chocolate habaneros just because I haven't had them before. I like them mainly for the flavor and I would have to say that a fresh picked habanero has so much better flavor than any store bought habanero ever will, the flavor is amazing.

I have grown the Chocolate Hab's before and the taste is incredible, once you get past the horrific heat. One thing you should know is never handle them without gloves, even before cutting. The first time you touch one of those gloveless and take a leak I swear you will find religion as you pray for the pain to stop. It's a mistake you only make once.

Fish

I have grown the Chocolate Hab's before and the taste is incredible, once you get past the horrific heat. One thing you should know is never handle them without gloves, even before cutting. The first time you touch one of those gloveless and take a leak I swear you will find religion as you pray for the pain to stop. It's a mistake you only make once.

Fish
Yeah, I too have felt the very cool tingling burning sensation after taking a leak when I was done making my hot sauce once. I will never make the mistake again. I now use a respirator and gloves and eye protection when making the sauce.

Here is a photo of a few of my seedlings as of today, all the previous ones are dead due to an "accident". :)

From left to right: Congo Black Habanero, Ghost Chili, Ghost Chili. This was the only congo black to survive.

DSCN1795.jpg

Where did you fine the Ghost Chili seeds. I can't fine any...

http://www.amazon.com/Jolokia-Patent-Magic-Plant-HOTTEST/dp/B002OMV09W

http://www.richfarmgarden.com/pepper.html

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, it's real name is the Bhut Jolokia.

I got my ghost chili seeds from a place called seedrack.com. I planted 2 packages worth 3 weeks ago and so far out of 50 seeds planted i have 6 seedlings. That's not too bad considering they can take a long time (4 weeks or more) to sprout. They are like $8 for 25 seeds so not too bad.

I got my ghost chili seeds from a place called seedrack.com. I planted 2 packages worth 3 weeks ago and so far out of 50 seeds planted i have 6 seedlings. That's not too bad considering they can take a long time (4 weeks or more) to sprout. They are like $8 for 25 seeds so not too bad.

Are you using a heating mat below your seedling pots? Peppers prefer a germination temperature around 80-85F. You can pick up one of these mats with variable temp control at various seed web sites.

Another trick that I've used to increase germination is to cold shock them. Take your seeds and place them between a wet piece of paper towel. Place these in a pan and then put in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. Make sure to cover with plasitc wrap to keep the moisture in. After removing, plant as usual and give the seedlings bottom heat. Your germination rate should increase substantially.

Just a side note. I use this system: http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/GP/listpage/bio-dome with very good success.

I picked up a 72 position Jiffy Professional Greenhouse at Wally-World a few weeks ago for $6. I planted 3 different kinds of tomatoes, yellow and zucchini squash, eggplant, yellow bell peppers, and cucumbers. Most of the packages said to plant 3 seeds and remove all but the strongest after a little growth. I chose to plant only 2 tomato seeds and one of most of the rest. I only planted about half of the container and left the rest unused. I placed it on top of my DVR satellite receiver (it doesn't have vents on the top and is only warm to the touch) and waited. If I recall I planted it on Tuesday and fortunately checked it on Friday. Many of the plants were up with the squash being several inches tall. I was blown away since the packages said 7-10 days for germination. I guess my point is that nearly every seed germinated and grew. I had to pull a 2" to 3" tomato plant out of maybe all but one or two of the 18 pods that I planted tomatoes in.

This is after almost 2 weeks. On the far left you can see a couple of the eggplants cucumbers. The package say 8 days to germinate. One of them looks to be about 4" tall.

Edited because I didn't remember things quite right. :blush:

Plants2.jpg

I picked up a 72 position Jiffy Professional Greenhouse at Wally-World a few weeks ago for $6. I planted 3 different kinds of tomatoes, yellow and zucchini squash, eggplant, yellow bell peppers, and cucumbers. Most of the packages said to plant 3 seeds and remove all but the strongest after a little growth. I chose to plant only 2 tomato seeds and one of most of the rest. I only planted about half of the container and left the rest unused. I placed it on top of my DVR satellite receiver (it doesn't have vents on the top and is only warm to the touch) and waited. If I recall I planted it on Tuesday and fortunately checked it on Friday. Many of the plants were up with the squash being several inches tall. I was blown away since the packages said 7-10 days for germination. I guess my point is that nearly every seed germinated and grew. I had to pull a 2" to 3" tomato plant out of maybe all but one or two of the 18 pods that I planted tomatoes in.

This is after almost 2 weeks. On the far left you can see a couple of the eggplants cucumbers. The package say 8 days to germinate. One of them looks to be about 4" tall.

Edited because I didn't remember things quite right. :blush:

Plants2.jpg
Yes, the bhut jolokia is what I'm growing. I have 8 now that have sprouted. I am using a heating mat under my seedlings until they
pop up then transplant them into small pots. As long as I get a few good strong plants I'll be happy.
Nice looking plants!

Saw those on Fox News yesterday. Apparently they are using them in grenades and such as non-lethal deterrent.

I was finally able to put these outdoors, the weather here has been too wet/cold until now to do it. I lost a month of growing season, last year they were planted by early April. I linked to some pictures of the plants I put out yesterday in the first post. I planted 5 Ghost Peppers, 4 Jalapenos, 1 Congo Black Habanero, 1 Serrano, and 1 Cayenne. I still have about 6-8 more assorted plants to put out in the next couple days also. :D

How about some updated pics Eric? I have started only with Jalapeno and Banana peppers but you have inspired me.

I havent updated this in a while, here are some photos of the plants as of today. They are looking decent at the moment, I'm having some issues with the jalapenos but I think thats been fixed now. Some of the ghost peppers are still pretty small since I didnt get them started from seed early enough like the other ones I did.

Ghost Peppers:
DSCN1924.jpg

Ghost Peppers again:
DSCN1920.jpg

Cayenne, 3 Jalapenos in the middle, and a serrano on the right:
DSCN1922.jpg

All of them:
DSCN1923.jpg

There is a chocolate habanero in there somewhere also... :D