• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pepper Garden

ELittle

Snowman Cage Inventor
I remember a thread about this, I searched for it and couldn't find it so I'm posting a new one. So far, I've planted 24 pepper plants: 6 Serrano, 4 Habanero, 5 Cayenne, 1 Tomatillo, 4 Caribbean Red Habanero, and 4 Scotch Bonnet.

Here is a photo album where I'll be updating the progress of the plants probably weekly or so. I don't think the plants in the ground are going to make it, something seems to be wrong with them.

Also, the reason I chose to use buckets for most everything even though I have a ton of in ground space and a rototiller is that peppers seem to love when their roots get nice and warm, and in the pot this happens much easier. Every pepper plant I've ever planted in a pot has done superb, but every one I've ever done in the ground has come up stunted or dead. This year I forgot to add perlite to the dirt though which has me a little nervous, hopefully they turn out ok. :D

Edit to add: New pics added October 16th

Links below to photo albums:
May 8th Photos
May 9th Photos
May 21st Photos
May 30th Photos
July 25th Photos
October 16th Photos

I remember a thread about this, I searched for it and couldn't find it so I'm posting a new one. So far, I've planted 17 pepper plants: 6 Serrano, 4 Habanero, 4 Cayenne, 1 Tomatillo, and 2 Caribbean Red Habanero.

I'm considering adding more, but I'm not sure yet. Here is a photo album where I'll be updating the progress of the plants probably weekly or so. I don't think the plants in the ground are going to make it, something seems to be wrong with them.

May 8th Photos
I hear ya man! There was a guy at work that grew his own Habaneros and he gave me a bag. I never had one before and decided to cut a few up for some chili I was making that night.....the friggin juice burned my fingertips and the half of a pepper I put in the chili ruined it. :laugh:

That's why I'm going with sweet banana peppers. :D

Nice plants E! Looks like you're well on your way!

I remember a thread about this, I searched for it and couldn't find it so I'm posting a new one. So far, I've planted 17 pepper plants: 6 Serrano, 4 Habanero, 4 Cayenne, 1 Tomatillo, and 2 Caribbean Red Habanero.

I'm considering adding more, but I'm not sure yet. Here is a photo album where I'll be updating the progress of the plants probably weekly or so. I don't think the plants in the ground are going to make it, something seems to be wrong with them.

May 8th Photos
I hear ya man! There was a guy at work that grew his own Habaneros and he gave me a bag. I never had one before and decided to cut a few up for some chili I was making that night.....the friggin juice burned my fingertips and the half of a pepper I put in the chili ruined it. :laugh:

LMAO I like to grow my own chili peppers too. About ten years ago I grew some Habaneras. Those puppies are HOT. At the time, I worked with a woman from Mexico and told her about them. She asked me to bring some to her. I brought her a bag and warned her how hot they were. Her comment was "I'm Mexican. I know how to handle peppers." That was on a Friday. Monday morning she said her hands were still burning and where she wiped her cheek was burning. She said those were the hottest peppers she ever had. I warned her.

I love the flavor of the Habaneras, but the fire is just too much for me. Even after removing the seeds and ribs. I'll stick with my jalapenos.

Habaneros, aka Scotch Bonnet are hot at 100,000-350,00 on the Scoville rating but they are not the hottest pepper. That claim to fame belongs to the Naga Jolokia, aka Ghost Pepper with a whopping Scoville rating of 355,000-1,041,427! Now that is a pepper I'll try once just for the experience. As for the Habanero, I have eaten them whole but only once in a very, VERY rare occasion (the money's right). Look at it this way Brian, if you eat it whole at least you won't hurt your whittle fingers Brian... :sign:

Habaneros, aka Scotch Bonnet are hot at 100,000-350,00 on the Scoville rating but they are not the hottest pepper. That claim to fame belongs to the Naga Jolokia, aka Ghost Pepper with a whopping Scoville rating of 355,000-1,041,427! Now that is a pepper I'll try once just for the experience. As for the Habanero, I have eaten them whole but only once in a very, VERY rare occasion (the money's right). Look at it this way Brian, if you eat it whole at least you won't hurt your whittle fingers Brian... :sign:
So that's why they call you "Putz" :sign:

I like hot foods, but cant handle much past the jalapeno. I planted some cayenne and jalapeno plants. Hopefully they yield, this is my first try at gardening.

E - get yourself one of these:

five_color_peppers.jpg

Chinese 5 Color Pepper Plant

Man, a lot of history with Habaneros. :love: Back when I was in Boy Scouts I was in a SPL-SM cook-off and we made some Dutch Oven John Wayne Casserole with Habaneros picked up in El Paso, TX. Great stuff! Since this is the food forum, here's the recipe...

4 oz. Diced habanero peppers
2 oz. Green chilies
2 oz. Yellow/ Red bell peppers, or a mix of both
1 lb. Monterey Jack
1 lb. Cheddar cheese
4 Eggs, seperated
2/3 c. Evaporated milk
1 tbsp. Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
Dash of pepper
2 med. Sliced Tomatoes
Pre-cooked Peppered bacon (cut into small pieces)

Combine shredded cheeses and chilies. Beat egg whites stiff. Mix yolks with flour, salt and pepper. Add evaporated milk, fold in egg whites. Pour over cheese. Mix gently and add in Bacon. Cook until it's almost firm and set in the Dutch Oven, top with sliced tomatoes. Cook until casserole is firm ans Set.

Good luck with the plants! :thumbs: I wish I was able to grow some, but I'll just have to wait a few years.

Man, a lot of history with Habaneros. :love: Back when I was in Boy Scouts I was in a SPL-SM cook-off and we made some Dutch Oven John Wayne Casserole with Habaneros picked up in El Paso, TX. Great stuff! Since this is the food forum, here's the recipe...

4 oz. Diced habanero peppers
2 oz. Green chilies
2 oz. Yellow/ Red bell peppers, or a mix of both
1 lb. Monterey Jack
1 lb. Cheddar cheese
4 Eggs, seperated
2/3 c. Evaporated milk
1 tbsp. Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
Dash of pepper
2 med. Sliced Tomatoes
Pre-cooked Peppered bacon (cut into small pieces)

Combine shredded cheeses and chilies. Beat egg whites stiff. Mix yolks with flour, salt and pepper. Add evaporated milk, fold in egg whites. Pour over cheese. Mix gently and add in Bacon. Cook until it's almost firm and set in the Dutch Oven, top with sliced tomatoes. Cook until casserole is firm ans Set.

Good luck with the plants! :thumbs: I wish I was able to grow some, but I'll just have to wait a few years.
No noodles in the casserole?

Nice!

I planted about as many a couple weeks ago.

3 x 6 hot
2 x6 regular

mmmmm!!!

Here are the plants, I'm getting ready to do the 2nd to final harvest, as you can see there is just a few ripe peppers. :D
DSCN1719.jpg

DSCN1720.jpg