• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Picked up a Mini Wino-Dor

Recidivist

Last night I took the plunge and bought a Wine Chiller for my stash. Due to the lack of folliage shade at my home and the fact that it can get egg frying hot in New York in high summer, I felt this step was vital for the survival of my collection. I had my heart set on the 28 bottle Vino-Temp that so many of you have in faithful service, but after looking at my space constrants as well as the lack of product to fill a unit so vast, I pulled the trigger on an 8 bottle unit from Emerson.
http://www.target.com/Emerson-8-Bottle-Coo...;rh=&page=1
First impressions are good. Temp ranges from 44-66, it has two shelves and a snazzy LED light. It fits my predetermined location well. It seems to quickly adjust to the preset temp. I plan on installing the self adhesive spanish cedar from 3M (thanks Billy) to lend it a unique look as well as help with RH swing.

First question to the initiated: how do I get that plastic smell out? I left the door open last night and did not detect the odor this morning. I have read about various solutions of soapy water and baking soda.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how many (tubes/ pounds) of beads I will need for a unit of this size?

Any suggestions and additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

First question to the initiated: how do I get that plastic smell out? I left the door open last night and did not detect the odor this morning. I have read about various solutions of soapy water and baking soda.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how many (tubes/ pounds) of beads I will need for a unit of this size?

Any suggestions and additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dunno much about your first question other than that I see people talk about putting some baking soda in a cup in their new coolers for a bit.

As for the beads question, check out http://heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp.

If I happened to get the measurements for your wine cooler right, then it seems like you'll need at least around 7 ounces of beads. But getting more beads than you need won't hurt: the more beads you have, the quicker the humidity will recover once you open your cooler, apparently.

And post pictures once you get it working! Will be interesting to see a small set up (everybody else usually puts pictures up for a big setup).

When I was running coolers, my trick was to rinse / wipe them out with HOT water, and leave them open to dry and ventilate. I think the trick is to get the plastic good and warm so that it "outgasses" and doesn't stink like plastic anymore.
As for the beads question, check out http://heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp.

If I happened to get the measurements for your wine cooler right, then it seems like you'll need at least around 7 ounces of beads. But getting more beads than you need won't hurt: the more beads you have, the quicker the humidity will recover once you open your cooler, apparently.
Yep. Keep in mind that the calculator on Viper's web site is a minimum quantity; I'd honestly advise using at least 25-50% more than he recommends. At least. Your RH regulation point won't change but the recovery time will be faster, the buffer for excess humidity will be better, and the humidity replenish interval will be longer. For the win.... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.