• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pinar 3000AAA Belicoso Fino Natural

Lumberg

Opus Lover
Wrapper: Cuban
Filler: Cuban
Binder: Cuban
Strength/Body: Full

This is the controversial cigar that claims to be 100% pre-embargo cuban tobacco.

I bought it at Signature cigars in ROckville for the hell of it.

My first impression is that this is a pretty good cigar. I'm no expert on Cubans so I will not attempt to gauge its authenticity.

The initial aroma was, to put it delicately, of pu$$y. SOrry to be so crude, but it had that smell. It did not gross me out. Hey if horse $hit is a valid way to describe the smell of a real Cuban...

Anyway the cigar tasted quite nice upon original draw. I clipped a relatively small hole (~1/4") and surprisingly the draw was more than adequate.

As I smoked the flavors did change. I did catch nuances of flavor that reminded me of different things, but I just couldn't place them. It is, IMO, a fairly complex cigar. The tastes change as you smoke it down.

It gives a fairly good kick, as expected by its liger designation.

burn was definitely inconsistent. Slightly uneven at times, and hard to keep lit. It seemed rather moist, which may be because it's a very wet, rainy night. So due to those reasons It never got a chance to develop a long ash. The ash itself it blackish and dark grey.

There's a slight sweetness to the flavor from the wrapper. No big veins apparent. One plus is that it doesn't get too bitter as it smokes down, as some cigars tend to do.

The head did unravel a bit, but I am pretty hard on the cigar mouthwise, with putting it down a lot and also trying to keep it in my mouth for a few minutes at a time.

Overall, I'd give the taste an 8/10
Appearance, same
Burn, 3/10
Construction, TBD because I am still finishing it off and haven't taken it apart yet :)

I think I paid about $8 for this on sale. I'm torn as to whether it's really worth that much. I could see myself giving this line a few more tries, if I didn't already have a stable of consistent cigars that I know I like better.

I find it hard to believe this is really 100% Cuban tobacco, based on the very large inventory the store carries, and the price.

Feel free to discuss, as many people are indeed very skeptical of the legitimacy of the 100% Cuban tobacco claims.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised as I thought it would end up being worse.

Good review. I've always been sceptical myself...I see them all the time but have yet to drop $12 for one (with Cali. tax). I don't know if I would, unless we find out they are truelly Cuban tobacco. Then maybe I would give it a try. Thanks for the write-up!!

-Fetter

Well there are all kinds of documents regarding chain of possession and even a lawsuit or two...could all be marketing.

My main suspicion is that tobacco that's been stored in bale or leaf form for 40 years is supposed to be basically junk. This cigar definitely wasn't junk. So I don't know what to make of it.

Secondly, I did go ahead and dissect the cigar physically and it was all long filler, and good looking leaves. Almost too good.

Hummm, I didn't think the wrappers were Cuban on those, just the filler.

AVB said:
[snapback]235784[/snapback]​

wrapper is domincan, binder and filler is 1/2 cuban 1/2 dominican... just a lie if you ask me though...

KayakinBoy said:
AVB said:
[snapback]235784[/snapback]​

wrapper is domincan, binder and filler is 1/2 cuban 1/2 dominican... just a lie if you ask me though...
[snapback]235841[/snapback]​

I based my stats on the URL below:

http://www.signaturecigars.net/cubans.htm

This is from the 3000AAA Series, which is 100% Cuban, according to them.

Pinars are a scam and have been since their introduction in 1998. They are an affront to real cigar smokers, and they have no Cuban tobacco in them.

The owner of the brand ( Paul Magier ) is on the scumbag list because of trnagressions years ago.

Buying this crap and reviewing it only feeds into the scam and might get newbies who don't know any better to waste their money on these dog rockets.

Lumberg, you know the history and should be ashamed at reviewing one.

The Master said:
Pinars are a scam and have been since their introduction in 1998. They are an affront to real cigar smokers, and they have no Cuban tobacco in them.

The owner of the brand ( Paul Magier ) is on the scumbag list because of trnagressions years ago.

Buying this crap and reviewing it only feeds into the scam and might get newbies who don't know any better to waste their money on these dog rockets.

Lumberg, you know the history and should be ashamed at reviewing one.
[snapback]235909[/snapback]​

Sorry, I am unaware of the story, other than their side of it, of which I am skeptical.

I do no know who Paul Magier is.

Could you enlighten us? I would be happy to edit the content of this thread once I do know the full story.

Here is a brief history of some of the crap he has pulled.

Allegedly found 40 year old tobacco sitting in a warehouse in NJ that was not humidified. Tobacco like that could never be rolled into cigars, it would turn to dust if handled.

He came on every site back then CF, CA, Cigar World, ICG, JR and pimped his cigars anonymously, knowing full well what he was doing was wrong. He was outted at most sites and even banned at a couple.

He then would give cigars to the cigar whores so they would pimp his cigars at the various sites.He then contracted to make cigars for a guy in New Zealand and the cigars the guy got were nothing like the samples and then he took a couple of years before he paid the guy his money back.

Paul Magier is not a bad guy, I have met him and acutally liked him. His business practices on the other hand are completely shady and at times completely dishonest.

Lumberg,no reason to change your review, yous moked it and gave it your thoughts. I just wanted people to know the history behind this guy.

I did a search on the boards after your comment, and I could find nothing but speculation.

As I said, I tend to lean towards the claims being fake, even moreso now.

However if you ignore the hype and just concentrate on the cigar itself it's not bad (there is one other member, cigardawg, who has reviewed one from the same series and basically came to the same conclusion).

I do have one other of their cigars (different series). Do you think it would be poor form to review it if and when I smoke it?

Edited for humourous effect... :)

Lumberg said:
...The initial aroma was, to put it delicately, of pu$$y...

...a relatively small hole...

...nuances of flavor that reminded me of different things...

...It seemed rather moist...

...There's a slight sweetness to the flavor...No big veins apparent.

...I am pretty hard...

...and also trying to keep it in my mouth for a few minutes at a time...

[snapback]235522[/snapback]​

kevpriest said:
Edited for humourous effect... :)

Lumberg said:
...The initial aroma was, to put it delicately, of pu$$y...

...a relatively small hole...

...nuances of flavor that reminded me of different things...

...It seemed rather moist... 

...There's a slight sweetness to the flavor...No big veins apparent.

...I am pretty hard...

...and also trying to keep it in my mouth for a few minutes at a time...

[snapback]235522[/snapback]​
[snapback]236177[/snapback]​

Too much free time.....

But hilarious none-the-less!