• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Help

AngryFishH

Official Big Fish
I have just inherited my dad and grandfathers pipe collection. There is a Meerschaum I remember my dad smoking when I was a kid and a dozen others that I can't identify. Some are supposed to be old and rare but they all look the same to me. Since these have not been used in a long while, some of the tips are in questionable shape but the bowls appear to be in good condition. I want to recondition a few and see if I like pipe smoking but not sure how to begin in cleaning and changing the tips.

Any helpful hints are appreciated.

If there is any desire to see if you can identify these treasures let me know and I will post some pics.

Fish

I have heard good things about this guy. http://www.precisionpiperepair.com. Rejuvenating old pipes can be a tricky business and I would hate to see you damage a rare old pipe. Personally, I would leave the job to a professional. They can clean, sterilize or even fit a new bit to the pipe. Look around on the net or wait for some suggestions from other guys on this board. Good luck and post some pics if you get a chance.

Pipe #1:

Identifiable markings: Stanwell Selected Briar 90

Pipe1side.jpg

Pipe1top.jpg

Pipe #2:

Identifiable markings: Schulte de Luxe Imported Briar

Pipe2side.jpg

Pipe2top.jpg

Pipe #3 and Pipe #4:

Identifiable markings: Saybrooke Extra

Pipe3side.jpg

Pipe3top.jpg

Pipe4top.jpg

Pipe5side.jpg

Nice pipes, looks like they should be fine smokers with a little TLC. From what I can see, the bits just need some cleaning. Check with Walker Briar Works. Never had the need for restoration or repair work, but I have purchased his stem cleaning kit and a few estate pipes and have been very pleased.

Pipe #5:

No identifiable markings, made in France

Pipe6side1.jpg

Pipe #6:

No identifiable markings

Pipe6side2.jpg

Pipe4side.jpg

Very nice pipes and the fact they were your dad's makes them even nicer. :)

Most of them look like they just need a good cleaning. No. 4 looks like it could use a new bit or a button repair (if it can be fixed), and the obvious lack of stem on the last carved pipe can easily be taken care of.

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, both of the shops mentioned in previous posts are great options. I'd send them the pictures and tell them what you want. There may be a wait time involved, as well. The pipes will look almost new when returned. Precision Repair does an excellent job on the refurbishing at $25-$35 per pipe.

The stem restoration kit from Walker is excellent. With that and a little Murphy's Oil Soap on the outside of the bowls, and possibly an alcohol treatment (I'd recommend it since you may not enjoy the same tobaccos that Dad did), the pipes will look very nice and as smokeable as when your father enjoyed them. The busted bit and the missing stem will need to be taken care of professionally. A couple of replacement fitted stems shouldn't be more than $50 or so depending on the material you choose.

Good for you, those are some sweet looking pipes. I started using my dad's pipes a little while ago and have really been enjoying them. There are some very knowledgeable brothers here who can really point you in the right direction. Good luck man, and welcome to the pipe forum.