• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe question

Fyodor

I decided to try pipe smoking. I just ordered a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman corn cob pipe from Frenchy's. If I enjoy pipe smoking I will buy a nice pipe. Actually the artistry in some of the briars is one of the things attracting me most to the hobby.

So on to my question. I have heard that after smoking a pipe you should let it sit for at least 48 hours. Is this after just one bowl? So a person who wants to smoke say four bowls a day would need eight pipes? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I doubt I'll take these rules too seriously for the corn cob pipe but I sure wouldn't want to ruin a good pipe.

-mark

Generally speaking, Yes on rotating your pipe if you're smoking frequently. You can get away with smoking the same pipe within 24 hours of your last smoke. It is generally encouraged to rotate your pipes if you’re smoking often, i.e. more than once a day. I think 48 hours is the standard rule, but you don’t want to limit yourself from smoking if you feel the urge b/c you just looked at your watch and realize it’s only been 34 hours!!!

If you're smoking more than once a day, my advice is to buy at least one or two more pipes so they can properly dry out. Since you're just starting out, try an estate for a good price that already has a cake built up or get some more cobs until you feel comfortable with buying something nice.
Happy smoking

good advice from GRAY GHOST and at this stage in your pipe smoking, you can't
go wrong with getting a few more cobs. you can usually enjoy a couple of bowls a
day in the same cob and they are ready to go again with as little as 1 day rest.

I also picked up a few tins of tobacco to try when my pipe comes. I wasn't really sure what to get but I went with Dunhill- Nightcap, Esoterica- Penzance, and McClelland- Frog Morton on the town. Hopefully I will find one of those to my liking. I think I will probably pick up another cob as burro suggested. Thanks for the help so far.

-mark

I also picked up a few tins of tobacco to try when my pipe comes. I wasn't really sure what to get but I went with Dunhill- Nightcap, Esoterica- Penzance, and McClelland- Frog Morton on the town. Hopefully I will find one of those to my liking. I think I will probably pick up another cob as burro suggested. Thanks for the help so far.

-mark

The only bummers thing about buying tins is if you dont like it, you still have a tin that is 95% full of tobacco you dont like. Might want to look out for samplers as a better way to get a feel of what you like. Check out tobaccoreviews.com awesome resource. Once you find the type of tobacco you seem to like, you can find others based on the descriptions and reviews.

-mark

The only bummers thing about buying tins is if you dont like it, you still have a tin that is 95% full of tobacco you dont like. Might want to look out for samplers as a better way to get a feel of what you like. Check out tobaccoreviews.com awesome resource. Once you find the type of tobacco you seem to like, you can find others based on the descriptions and reviews.

Yes very true. I know a few other pipe smokers and I was hoping if I didn't like one of them they might and I would just give them the rest. I'll deffinately look into some samplers in the future.

You can always offer to trade your opened tin for one you like.

I see that a lot on the other pipe forums.

O.K. So some pipe smoking equipment and supplies came to my door today. I've been reading endless information about pipes, tobacco and the art of doing it properly for the last several days and now was my time to experience it all first hand. Well my initial impression was, "this certainly isn't going to take the place of my beloved cigars, but interesting all the same".

I went a bit overboard and ordered three different orders all at once. One to Frenchy's for a cob and some cleaning supplies. They were kind enough to send me double what I ordered. Then to Smoking pipes for the three tins I mentioned above. And then last but certainly not least a order to Boswells for a pipe( the churchwarden on the site currently) and three 2 oz. bags of North woods, Premium Burly, and Christmas Cookie. They threw in some Cherry Smash and some Magnum Blond.

So I'm setting on Three pipes, three three way pipe tools, a whole lot of pipe cleaners and more than enough tobacco.

The first thing I did was fire up some Boswell Burly in the Boswell pipe. I was rather confused, even after doing much research, how to go about it. I think I packed it a bit too loose, I had to relight an obscene amount of times. It tasted, well, different. Kinda like smoking a bon fire. Also some interesting sweet notes that I definitely enjoyed. Even though I relighted often and puffed away rather hard the pipe never got hot and I didn't experience tongue bite. After this bowl I was left wanting more and although it is probably against the rules I packed a half bowl of North woods into the same pipe. It tasted more or less the same with some floral/soapy notes and a bit more hickory smokiness than the Burly.

I'm not sure what I am taking away from my first pipe smoking experience but I know I'm interested and looking forward to trying more. I'm not sure what I expect you guys to gain from relating my experience but I imagine I will look back on this post one day and laugh. Tomorrow I will open one of the tins but not sure which one to try yet.

Cheers!

-mark

My local b&m will let you try a bowl before you buy. Works out nice that way you don't waste money on stuff you don't care for. Might check with your local shop to see if they have same policy

You may want to try the Magnum Blend next. It's very good and has a little more of a classic English flavor, though it's a light English. I really like Northwoods, but I've found I have to be in the right mood for it.

All of the relights will take the flavor right out of the smoke, especially with a lighter flavored blend. You'll get the most flavor from your tobacco by sipping the pipe and keeping it just barely burning. With some practice you'll get there.

It took me awhile the first time I picked up the pipe several years ago. This second foray into it it was much quicker for me. Keep trying! :)

You may want to try the Magnum Blend next. It's very good and has a little more of a classic English flavor, though it's a light English. I really like Northwoods, but I've found I have to be in the right mood for it.

All of the relights will take the flavor right out of the smoke, especially with a lighter flavored blend. You'll get the most flavor from your tobacco by sipping the pipe and keeping it just barely burning. With some practice you'll get there.

It took me awhile the first time I picked up the pipe several years ago. This second foray into it it was much quicker for me. Keep trying! :)

Good call on the Magnum Blend, it's my favorite so far of the Boswell blends I received. And thanks for the tips in smoking, I really tried to "sip" the pipes as much as possible today. I smoked a bowl of the Cherry Smash in a corn cob at work and I thought it was pretty good. I let it dry out about twelve hours thinking that might help with keeping the bowl lit and not needing so many relights. Well, I still lit it an awful lot. I enjoyed it though and it left a good room note which is important at work. I stopped by Three Floyd's brew pub on the way home which was a nice treat, grabbed a growler of Gumball Head and went home and fired up a bowl of the Magnum Blend in my Boswell Churchwarden. I cut it up a bit with the scissors and hoped this would help with the burn, I also packed it a bit tighter than the last bowls I have tried. It seemed to burn better for the most part but I had to relight a lot towards the end. Still, the taste in the first two thirds of the bowl was really excellent. I guess I will figure it out eventually.

Good call on the Magnum Blend, it's my favorite so far of the Boswell blends I received. And thanks for the tips in smoking, I really tried to "sip" the pipes as much as possible today. I smoked a bowl of the Cherry Smash in a corn cob at work and I thought it was pretty good. I let it dry out about twelve hours thinking that might help with keeping the bowl lit and not needing so many relights. Well, I still lit it an awful lot. I enjoyed it though and it left a good room note which is important at work. I stopped by Three Floyd's brew pub on the way home which was a nice treat, grabbed a growler of Gumball Head and went home and fired up a bowl of the Magnum Blend in my Boswell Churchwarden. I cut it up a bit with the scissors and hoped this would help with the burn, I also packed it a bit tighter than the last bowls I have tried. It seemed to burn better for the most part but I had to relight a lot towards the end. Still, the taste in the first two thirds of the bowl was really excellent. I guess I will figure it out eventually.
It sounds like you're heading in the right direction. :)

It's hard to describe the "tightness" of a pack, especially since it can vary with blend. It really gets to the "art" of pipe smoking.

Good luck to you!