• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Tobacco, Bad?

DKAudio

I started trying pipe smoking before last winter. Never really got good at lighting it either, tried many different techniques.

At any rate, that is not the reason for this thread.

I have found that most of you store your pipe tobacco in canning jars. I have had mine stored in the pouches they came in just taped shut. Air can get to them easily. They have been like that for over half a year now. Should I assume these are done for? Can I just get some canning jars and start to store them properly?

It was 30 and snowing today, what the heck! Warm up so I can try lighting the pipe again...

I'm definitely not an expert in this area but what would come to mind first is to open the bags and feel the tobacco. Is it crumbly or does it still feel moist? Think of it kind of like cigars. Once the oils are gone, the tobacco might as well be gone.

Check them and see if they're dry. Pipe tobacco can be rehydrated, often it can be done without the loss of flavor or goodness. It really just depends how long it's been dried out (if it is).

Most pipe tobacco that comes in pouches is pretty loaded with PG to keep its moisture so it's possible it's not dried out at all. Not all pouch tobaccos are like that, though. It depends on the brand. What brand are you talking about?

There are many processes that people use for rehydration but I'm too tired to find the links for you (I haven't slept in a couple of days). If you get on the google I'm sure you can find an appropriate method. I think there's info on the cellaring and aging site that has been linked several times here in other threads.

Good luck...

Thanks, the brands a really cheap ones, Smokers Pride and Jamestown Tradition.

If I pinch the tobacco it does not break apart. If I pinch really hard I can get it to stay in a loose clump.

I am going to try and get some canning jars ASAP.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks, the brands a really cheap ones, Smokers Pride and Jamestown Tradition.

If I pinch the tobacco it does not break apart. If I pinch really hard I can get it to stay in a loose clump.

I am going to try and get some canning jars ASAP.

Thanks

Dan
Fromt eh sound of it, it's probably loaded with enough PG that it will never dry out completely. I wouldn't "rush" out to get the jars unless you've got some other stuff around that needs to be protected. Grab some next time you go grocery shopping or are out and about.