• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Please recommend me a substitute

antaean

Did this happen to you?
I have seen a few comments (not sure where) that one need not spend premium bucks for Montecristo (DR) cigars, presumeably because there are many smokes from the DR with the same flavor profile. Unfortunately, I have not found them yet!

Can anyone point out a fairly close substitute for the Monte(DR) No. 3 (44x5.50")? I enjoy the creamy, buttery, nutty(?) flavor that is sweetish but not Macanudo/Jamaican sweet.

My favorite smokes are med to full flavored, med to full-bodied but I like the Monte 3's as an early in the day warm-up smoke with a cup of coffee.

Cheers,
antaean

I have seen a few comments (not sure where) that one need not spend premium bucks for Montecristo (DR) cigars, presumeably because there are many smokes from the DR with the same flavor profile. Unfortunately, I have not found them yet!

Can anyone point out a fairly close substitute for the Monte(DR) No. 3 (44x5.50")? I enjoy the creamy, buttery, nutty(?) flavor that is sweetish but not Macanudo/Jamaican sweet.

My favorite smokes are med to full flavored, med to full-bodied but I like the Monte 3's as an early in the day warm-up smoke with a cup of coffee.

Cheers,
antaean

An Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story with the Cameroon wrapper is my personal favorite morning smoke.

Cheers,
antaean

Hmmm... creamy, buttery, nutty.... Well, I love creamy and buttery, nutty is negotiable.

I a few sticks I've enjoyed that come similar to these three properties would be:

1) Gurkha Ltd. Expedition - I found this to be creamy, smooth.
2) Gurkha Regent - Creamy, fairly nutty, buttery, smooth.
3) Gurkha Legend - Nutty, creamy, smooth.
4) Rocky Patel Connecticut - Buttery, fairly creamy with a good cup of coffee.
5) Punch (NC) - Full flavored creamy with some Starbucks expresso
6) Punch Rare Corojo - Nutty, very creamy with coffee.
7) Camacho SLR Maduro - Full flavored creamy.
8) CI Legends White Label Camacho - Creamy morning cigar.
9) Pirate's Gold by Rolando Reyes - Another creamy morning cigar.
10) Excalibur by HdM No. 1 - you really have to try this!!!
11) Tatuaje Noella - Extremely Buttery when I smoked one, however these come at a premium price.
12) Romeo y Julietta(NC) Reserva Real - edited to add, totally forgot about a good old classic.

Let me add a disclaimer by saying I have never had a Monte(DR) No. 3 (yet), and its been so long since I had any Macanudo sticks, but I hope my list sort of helps.

The sticks in brownish orange are the ones I highly recommend.

edited again to add this link

Wow.. That looks like a tasty list Dave! Now I have a new personal must try list. I'm a big fan on creamy and buttery smokes.

I think this is an old thread, but nobody mentioned butera. I 2nd R&J reserva real.