• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plumbers + Other Smart People

Rodrigo de Jerez

I get to give myself a title?
How long does it typically take for a properly insulated pipe to freeze? I live in Krakow and I went away for the weekend. It became unexpectedly cold for a few days in a row and I no longer have a working toilet or hot water line. I want to be prepared with the right information should I need to seriously discuss this issue with the renter (who also didn't tell me about the POS boiler that had to be replaced and the ever-finicky electricity). I had no indication whatsoever that this could be an issue in this building because it is really not that old.

I'm having a heck of a time getting anybody to come fix it. I smell bad and I'm getting cranky.

Maybe my complaints are misguided but I don't know what I don't know. Any words of wisdom out there?

-Mark

If the hot water line and the toilet line are near each other at a common point you've probably found your freeze point. The problem with insulated pipes is that once they freeze that insulation works the other way as well and if it's in a cool area it could take a long time to thaw. The easiest thing to try is get a hair dryer and an extension cord. If you can figure out what pipe and where is frozen put the hair dryer on high and have at it. Open the faucets and hopefully you'll hear running water. If it's through dry wall or some other medium you can try the same thing but it will take longer and you need to pay attention you don't burn anything. After that if you are going away for few days try just leaving the faucets on with a slow drip. And if it happens regularly you may need to put a plug in pipe warmer on it for when you go away.

Yep. Same thing used to happen to me at the old house. It only happened when we had multiple days below zero. I found that it was this one elbow that was always the one that froze. I would run the hair dryer back and forth over it while leaving the hot water on in the faucet right near it. It would take 20 mins or so and slowly the water would start to come through and then come back. What we did was just leave it on a drip to keep the warm water in the pipe moving so it wouldn't freeze. Strange how the hot water side freezes quicker than the cold. You would think it'd be the other way around.
I insulated the pipe and it would still freeze up. And it was on a pipe on the North facing side of the house. So whenever I saw there was a cold snap coming I just left it on a drip and all was well. just be careful wih that hairdryer. They get really hot. You can put it right up close to the pipe, just be careful of the surrounding area, so you dont start a fire in there..ahahahah

Art

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the information. So far as I can tell, I don't have any access to the pipes in my apartment. I'm at least fortunate enough that a plumber will come tomorrow morning to check everything out. I still sort of wonder about the guts of this place and how well everything is put together to begin with. Phew...

I will have to make sure and take extra precaution the next time it gets really cold around here. I just didn't know frozen pipes would be an issue in my building.

At any rate, thanks again!

-Mark