• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plume & mold

SFG75

Master-passer
Okay, if it's plume, you can scratch the stuff off and it won't leave a mark. If it's mold, it leaves a stain. Evidently when I scratch the stuff of a couple "contaminated" cigars, the stuff doesn't leave a mark. But how many cigars in a humidor(that sits consistently at 70%) have plume marks? I have the perpetrating cigars in solitary confinement and they don't appear to be "snowballing over" in mold. Any comments on mold and plume in general? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Plume is white and powdery. Rubs off real easy. Mold is usually bluish-green in color and also kind of fuzzy looking. Keep your humi at 65% or even a bit less and under 70f and you shouldn't have any mold problems.

Not all plume comes of easily. Turn of the lights and turn on the flash light. Pan the light across the gars in the dark. Plume will look sparkly, mold wont.

Emo

gregor22 said:
Great tip, Emo!
Don't get to happy with it! ... He gets all excited at shinny keys and coins, I think its that "been on a boat to long" syndrome.

Who loves ya Emo! :love:

lucasbuck said:
Plume is white and powdery. Rubs off real easy. Mold is usually bluish-green in color and also kind of fuzzy looking. Keep your humi at 65% or even a bit less and under 70f and you shouldn't have any mold problems.
O.K., thanks emo-I'm in good shape then (as I presumed) and will now relax a bit while I'm trying to lower the humidity in my humidor.

SFG75 said:
lucasbuck said:
Keep your humi at 65% or even a bit less and under 70f and you shouldn't have any mold problems.
I notice that everyone here recommends 65% as the humidity level for the humi's but everywhere else I read 70% is the best for storage & aging. Is the 65% only because the cigar is best smoked (draw quality)at this level??

DreC said:
SFG75 said:
lucasbuck said:
Keep your humi at 65% or even a bit less and under 70f and you shouldn't have any mold problems.
I notice that everyone here recommends 65% as the humidity level for the humi's but everywhere else I read 70% is the best for storage & aging. Is the 65% only because the cigar is best smoked (draw quality)at this level??
Cigars are hygroscopic. And they like to hold moisture. I think a lot of it has to do with agining and RH. I have smoked 3 year old Fuente's stored at %70 that were fabulous. But young cigars stored at %70 a lot of times burn horribly and taste better. That's because a lot of stores and distributers keep cigars at or above %70. And cigars are more often than not pretty wet when they come from the cigar factories. After the stabilze at %70, most cigars will burn and taste fine.
People use %65 to help this stabilization happen a lot faster. Plus they burn a lot better. I do notice a flavor taste sometimes between the 2 levels. Different strokes for different folks.

Emo