• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Poor Kimbo :-))

jeht2000

bodybuilder for life
Had to work so i caught the recording of kimbo getting his ass knocked out. Terrible thing i tell ya. Hopefully, it will make him train harder and come back better.

He's still an animal! Just had a bad night.

Holy crap.

Usually you just look at the guy and you have lost.

Brian

I don't really follow MMA or any of that sort of thing very closely, but to my untrained eye, it seemed like things were stopped pretty prematurely. It certainly didn't seem much like the few knock down, drag out fights I remember from the UFC 10 years ago. Putting aside the notion that Kimbo has no training, doesn't belong or whatever, did anyone else think that it was stopped way too soon?

I am by no means an expert on the sport but I have a good friend who is a trainer and referee for fights in the Midwest. He told me recently that the refs are trained to err on the side of protecting the fighters. If someone is in a helpless position then the fight is stopped...that's it...over...too bad if it takes 14 seconds. The theory is based on the extreme danger of broken bones, serious lacerations or worse. I think the old MMA days have led to the belief that they would rather stop the fight than let it get to a point of danger.

I do think that there is something about television ratings and the increased popularity of the sport that makes this sort of protection crucial. People will watch if everyone is going to be okay in the end. People are less likely to watch if the fighters are seriously injured during every match.

Just saying what I have heard.

I am by no means an expert on the sport but I have a good friend who is a trainer and referee for fights in the Midwest. He told me recently that the refs are trained to err on the side of protecting the fighters. If someone is in a helpless position then the fight is stopped...that's it...over...too bad if it takes 14 seconds. The theory is based on the extreme danger of broken bones, serious lacerations or worse. I think the old MMA days have led to the belief that they would rather stop the fight than let it get to a point of danger.

I do think that there is something about television ratings and the increased popularity of the sport that makes this sort of protection crucial. People will watch if everyone is going to be okay in the end. People are less likely to watch if the fighters are seriously injured during every match.

Just saying what I have heard.

Yes the sport has evolved . Old guys like Ken Shamrock hasn't
In the "old days" he could of fought with 6 stitches in his eyebrow.
I trained and had 2 pro fights in the early 90's was a different deal then.
Are fights stopped too early? Some times maybe but as punk lawyer said its for ratings and sanctioning
IMHO its the only way the sport could survive

edit for spelling

He's still an animal! Just had a bad night.

More like a paper tiger. Sure he is physically impressive, but more a marketing ploy than a fighter. He has not looked impressive in any of his fights. He has basically been handed his other victories, add on Ken Shamrock's mysterious injury, and one starts to question what EliteXC is all about. As far as a bad night, imagine your the other guy (I forget his name), its friday afternoon/evening you get a call..."Hey, you want to fight Kimbo Slice in a little over 24 hours." Not much time to prepare for Elite's "top" fighter.

Putting aside the notion that Kimbo has no training, doesn't belong or whatever, did anyone else think that it was stopped way too soon?

Did you see him trying to "shoot" on the ref? Kimbo had no idea what was going on, when he is seen talking to the officials its pretty clear that he doesn't know what happened. To a certain extent instinct makes you protect yourself, but to borrow a phrase from Joe Rogen "you need to able to intelligently defend yourself".

The reason fights are stopped early now are basically what Stu (punk_lawyer) said. The good 'ole days of bare knuckle, 3-4 fights in a night UFC's are gone. Thats what got them banned in America, to come back they had to put on the air of legitmacy. On top of that EliteXC has the broadcast contract, after the whole superbowl wardrobe malfunction what do you think would happen if CBS airred someone with a part of their cranium gashed open, pouring out blood.

He is a bum who has no business in a pro mma fight.
The one time he didnt get fed a can he gets exposed in 14 seconds lol
There's plenty of "pros" who've been beaten in the same amount of time or less... that doesnt mean anything.

Why didn't Shamrock fight?

Shamrock didn't fight because the day before he got hit in the face by a training partner and ended up with 6 stitches. The athletic commision would not let him.

did anyone else think that it was stopped way too soon?

I think that happens a lot in EliteXC IMO, as far as their live broadcasts. I've been watching UFC for a long time, been training BJJ and muay thai for 3 yrs. It rarely happens in the UFC, when they stop their fights its for a good reason.

Awww, poor Kimbo... but it was only a matter of time. His brawniness was bound to peter out and he's got no talent to back it up. He's basically got two weapons, and one of them is an overhead punch that basically broadcasts where it's coming from about a half hour before he throws it.

Kimbo may bounce back... or he may just go back to the alleys where tough guys with no talent go to get maimed.

As far as the old days being gone... well, as far as "mainstream" MMA, they are. The whole thing has been nerfed to protect the unable. It's no longer what it was, which is one of the reasons the old man Gracie bowed out and sold his interest in the UFC. To paraphrase him "any tough guy who plays the rules can have a good fight". I saw the old man fight in Brazil many moons ago, and that was truly no holds barred fighting, which was not unlike the early days of the UFC (remember? Two men enter, one man leaves) I had tickets to the one at the Armory in Brooklyn when they banned the sport in NY on the very evening it was supposed to be held.

Marcos

He is a bum who has no business in a pro mma fight.
The one time he didnt get fed a can he gets exposed in 14 seconds lol
There's plenty of "pros" who've been beaten in the same amount of time or less... that doesnt mean anything.

The difference is that this is the first fight when they put someone with some skill/talent in front of him. All his other fights were a handed to him.

Incidentally, this is not his first loss or knockout... I did a quick search and found an old fight of good ole Kimbo in a gym where he gets his clock cleaned out by a college jock.

I have to agree with donzz; Kimbo is a bum.

In my "line of work," every angry male over 20 years old with spikey hair or a shaved head, wearing gym pants/shorts/etc and wearing a shirt that connotates some martial art discipline, labels himself as a "cage fighter," "UFC fighter," or "MMA fighter."

Guys like that seem to drop the hardest. I feel so privileged to be surrounded by so many "cage fighters" in my city!! :p

Kimbo is a THUG! Petruzelli was given less than 4 hours notice to fight the great Kimbo & he knocked his A$$ OUT! Punk got schooled! :p He's a brawler and as such has no business in the MMA, why else would CBS build a "sports program" around him? CBS is a joke as well! Look at how they treated MMA fans on the first one of these - hookers, pole dancers, BAD anouncers who didn't even know the sport! They thought that's all there was. We love the Ring girls, but you gotta put on a fight with some cred! UFC does a damn good job IMNSHO. CBS is toast and unfortunately have delt the MMA world a blow! :angry:

In my "line of work," every angry male over 20 years old with spikey hair or a shaved head, wearing gym pants/shorts/etc and wearing a shirt that connotates some martial art discipline, labels himself as a "cage fighter," "UFC fighter," or "MMA fighter."

Guys like that seem to drop the hardest. I feel so privileged to be surrounded by so many "cage fighters" in my city!! :p

On the flip side, who are the guys that are the worst to deal with? Not in terms of them being most likely to use a weapon or anything like that, but the sort that you're the very least interested in engaging?

I'd sort of expect that the self-professed MMA character like you describe above is probably a poor representation of expert martial artists--the truly expert badasses probably don't get into fights with anyone, let alone the police. As such, I'd assume that the hairiest physical confrontations you face don't come from martial artists of any kind because they generally fall into those two groups.

Kimbo is raw! Even with the year and a half training under his belt he is still just a street fighter. He's trying, but has a long way to go before becoming a legit (top level) fighter.

As for his opponent, I think he got lucky. Any fighter can get caught with a stray punch. If they fought three times, kimbo would probably win two of the three.

I would to have loved seeing Brock Lesnar, hand Kimbo his own ass. Kimbo is an overrated fighter. Simple as that.