• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pork shoulder, braised in white wine.

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
1 Pork shoulder 4 to 5 lbs
1 lg onion cut coarsely
2 lg carrots cut into 2in pieces
2 stalks of celery cut into 2in pieces
1 sprig of thyme
1 sprig of parsley
1 bay leaf
21/2 cups of Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay
Olive oil.

Heat a large, heavy bottomed non-reactive dutch oven over medium high heat. Add olive oil to cover bottom. Oil should begin to smoke. Season pork with salt and pepper. Brown Pork well on all sides. Add onion and cook a few moments. Don't burn. Pot will be very hot. Add wine and the braising vegetables and herbs. Cook at a low boil or simmer until pork is tender. About 2 to 3 hrs. Place on a warmed platter and garnish with the vegetables

The Sauce

4 tbls butter
1/3 cup of flour
21/2 cups of the braising liquid. Fat skimmed off. Use chicken stock to make up any difference.
Salt and pepper to taste

In a heavy bottomed non-reactive pot of sufficient size melt the butter, add the flour and cook for a few minutes.
Add liquid and whisk smooth. Bring to a simmer and your done. Pour over egg noodles or a good pasta. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy Ree Ree and any others that care to try it.

Doc.

Wow Doc that sounds incredible. I may have to make this one day soon.

Doc, I made this tonight and it was great! The roux is certainly the key-- the sauce was velvety and smooth with a nice tang from the braising liquid. The only change was that I used a Pinot Grigio instead of a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay. It was the only white wine I had on hand.

The wife wants to try it next time on spaetzle.

I got a 5lb hunk of pork loin that this might do well with. Thanks Doc.