• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Port Barrel Revisited

Bonfire Smoke

Bonfire Smoke
02-17-09
I am now two weeks into my project. Check out my blog for the latest Bourbon; Cigars; Wine. The port blend is fantastic.

Johnny

When I read Macion Grey's post "Port Barrel Question" I became intrigued about these small barrels and port. I had just returned from a trip to Door County Wisconsin where I had tried my first port wine. I loved it and the thought of having a barrel to dispense it from sounded great. As I researched it, it was not just a barrel for dispensing, it was a tool to blend your own port. This makes the port much more personal by creating a specific taste.

As I read more I found articles on maturing whisky in a small cask. Now I was really hooked. I love bourbon and it would be great to by cheap stuff and turn it into something tastey. What I have read is that you can put the bourbon in the cask and with less volume of a 2 liter cask, you get more contact with the wood, thus maturing the bourbon faster.

I have two barrels or cask coming. A 5 liter and a 2 liter. I started a blog to document my journey. It is Bourbon; Cigars; Wine; . I will have pictures and information about what is going on as I progress.

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think. If you have any experience in blending port or maturing bourbon I look forward to your comments.

Johnny

So are you doing just port, bourbon or both? If you are doing bourbon what char did you get on your barrels?

So are you doing just port, bourbon or both? If you are doing bourbon what char did you get on your barrels?

I am doing both. The casks are a medium char. I am going to cure the port cask with cognac. I am struggling with exactly what to do with the bourbon cask. I have thought about using sherry, but I think I really want to go with just the charred wood. When boubon is put in barrels to age they have to be new wood barrels to be a bourbon. At this point I am leaning toward sealing the cask with water and then introducing the bourbon.

jef

You can read about what has been done before here.