• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Port with Smokes?

slider9499

I am a wine guy, so I can match up smokes with almost any kind of wine. But my father-in-law, amongst others, has told me that Port is the way to go when it comes to cigars. I know very little about Port :whistling: so I go to the pros when I look for advice :cool:

What have you heard or experienced with Port?
Any suggestions as to which Port to purchase [for a total newbie]?
Which smokes would match up well?

My advice would be to go to your local grocer and try some out. Tawny's are lighter if that's your thing. Some decent choices to start with would be Dow, Sandleman's, Fonseca, etc. Vintage port will run you some $$ but you can go with a Late Bottle Vintage and spend around $20-$40.

Good luck

Here's a good reference to check out:

Click me

Good link Leebo.
I dig Port with my smokes (I'm not an aficianado on either).
I also like other wines and Bourbon (not mixed together :rolleyes: ) with a good cigar.

Mmmmmm... Porto.. one of my favorites :thumbs: Check out these links for a little more information on brands: Premium Port Wines, The Vintage Port Site.

Smith Woodhouse, Taylor, and Grahams are some of my favorite Vintage Ports. But there are so many out there at great values, Fonseca Bin 27, Graham Six Grapes,
Quita do Noval "The Raven" are great examples of QPR Ports. Each have their own characteristics so do pick up a bottle of each and check your palate.

I also recommend that you check out some Late Harvest wines, especially Zinfandels and Syrahs. Late Harvest wines are also sweet wines but are not fortified as the Portos are. Late Harvest wines are exactly as their name describes, the fruit is harvested later in the season when the brix are high.

:cool:

I love a good glass (or 2) of port when I smoke my cigars. I have several in the wine fridge right now but my favorite is:

"Warre's Otima 10 Year Tawny Porto"

You can't lose with this port and any good liquor store should carry it. Enjoy!

One of the breweries in Indiana, Oliver Winery, makes an awesome port (Maximum Port is the name). The consistency is creamy, with hints of raspberry, strawberry, and obviously grape. You can order them off of their website, but I think they only have it randomly throughout the year.

Their url is:
http://www.oliverwinery.com/main.html

Absolutely agree, Nobel, the Maximum Port is great! The free tastings at Oliver Winery don't hurt either! :)

Chad

The '94 Duff Gordon Vintage is pretty good too, IMO, although I am far from an expert on Port...

chado said:
Absolutely agree, Nobel, the Maximum Port is great! The free tastings at Oliver Winery don't hurt either! :)

Chad
[snapback]255688[/snapback]​

Looks interesting and I'd like to try the MAXIMUM PORT, however they only ship to Indiana addresses?? Oh well if I ever move to Indiana I'll have to remember to order some.

You don't need to stay with the Portuguese port.

You might try some tawny ports from Australia such as Whiskers Blake and Benjamin. The Whiskers Blake has a mild smokey after-taste that gives it a little "bite". It's yummy. :)

Six Grapes is an excellent and very affordable Port for you to try with your stogies.
Not too hard to find either.

gkpk said:
Six Grapes is an excellent and very affordable Port for you to try with your stogies.
[snapback]266860[/snapback]​

I picked up a bottle just the other night. Tomorrow I'm going on the hunt for a couple of special Porto's for New Year's Eve

:cool:

gkpk said:
[snapback]266860[/snapback]​

I got a bottle from Santa! :thumbs:

Last week at Churchills in Boston,I enjoyed a Bolivar Churchill and a Hoyo Des Dieux along with some Taylor-Fladgate 10 year-old Tawny. Very nice port at a reasonable price ($25) and a great match with cigars.